Pump out oil tank

We had to decommission an old in-ground tank when selling our house. We called a local charity that provides discounted heating oil for "working poor" families. They came and pumped it out for us.

Reply to
G Wood

I have to siphon out oil from a buried oil tank so that I can get rid of it. What is the easiest way to do this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

Call the garages, oil change places. A lot of them use waste oil heating in the winter and if they have the capability to pump it out of an underground tank they probably will.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I cut a hole and dipped it out with a 5 gallon bucket. Then used a mop on the rest.

Reply to
Pat

I had this problem also but I was still using the old oil burner. I removed the return line and put it in a 55 gal drum...as the furnace was running it pumped (nearly all) the old into the drum in a relatively short time. I used the drum to feed the furnace until I replace it with a gas one.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

I tried to find local charity, but none were interested. I posted a Cragslist ad, free oil if you pump it out yourself. Got about 20 responses. Should be gone in a day or 2. Craigslist really works.

Reply to
jtees4