Concrete Pad

I need to pour a concrete pad 4X4 ft to set a ramp to a dock on. The pad will be in a very steep dirt bank with tree roots. About how deep should it be and should one use re bar or wire mesh?

Reply to
Bobby

I have no experience in doing this- but I think you'll need to expand a bit if you want real help. . .

Riverbank, lake bank, pond bank? Maine or Florida? Sand, Gravel, clay? Want it to last a year- or 50?

What purpose will it really be serving? as an anchor to the dock, or a sundeck?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

4" should work and you can probably get away without wire. If you can bum a little piece from a guy pouring a slab at a construction site it will give you a little extra strength. This is the kind of thing you find in the dumpster.
Reply to
gfretwell

The pad I need to form is to support the end of a ramp that goes to the dock. The ramp is 60 feet long from the lake bank and about15ft higher than the water.

Reply to
Bobby

I should think that the edges should be 8 inches deep and the rest 4 inches thick. This assumes there is no need to deal with frost heave. A #4 bar laid in the thickened edge would be a good idea with tree roots in the area. A long ramp may need a thickened slab with a piece of reinforcing at the foot. T

Reply to
tbasc

Old metal fencing works as a free or cheap substitute. i would recommend some wire mesh in there. 4" should be OK. There is also a thing called fibermesh concrete. You can use this if you don't use any wire mesh. Mesh is better, but fibermesh is better than no wire mesh at all.

Reply to
jtees4