Pronouncing decimal numbers

I use my arms and shoulders. I know an arm (end of clenched fist to shoulder) is 0.6m, and shoulder to shoulder is 0.4m. So to get a metre, fist to opposite shoulder. If it's a long distance and I can be bothered adding decimals, I use both arms to get 1.6m.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I could never get the hang of those, and definitely not kmph.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Speed of light?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Uzi 9mm bullets don't fit in a .357 magnum? Or is that a lollipop?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm in the UK also, and I say "two by four". Although when I measured one it's not 2" x 4" at all.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I wish doors had standard sizes, it would make replacing one a matter of just plugging it in.

I can get 50x100 from the local builder's merchant (Jewsons). It's one of their standard sizes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How f****ng ridiculous. Rather like the 2TB hard disks being 1.82TB because hard disk manufacturers don't know computers use binary not decimal. Either that or they intentionally rip us off.

When I buy wood it's quoted in mm cross section. That is pretty accurate (to within about 2mm either way), so I know what I'm getting.

Builders aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is your name intentionally lycra?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Americans use inches instead of cm because their butts are 2.4 times bigger, they need bigger seats.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you mean a 9mm Luger cartridge, no resemblance whatsoever. If you actually mean a 125 gr bullet, it would do in a pinch if loaded into a .

357 case. It's a little light, 158 gr being most common in a .357.

To further confuse you, the popular .38 Special uses a .357 bullet. The .

357 case is 0.100 in longer so you can use .38 Special cartridges in a . 357 revolver but not vice versa.
Reply to
rbowman

.6 is close enough. When the sign says 100 it doesn't mean mph. Overpasses usually had the feet too, but anything less that 4 meters was a no go.

Reply to
rbowman

Just because you're a cyclist doesn't make you a stud.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That would only work in f***ed up America where they say toooba.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then you're backward.

Joist.

America is pretty slow. Must be something in the water affecting their brains.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Computers or rather programmers are thick. Not being able to handle certain characters is ridiculous. I often get told the password I'm making up has to have special characters, only to find I've used the wrong special characters. The worst one was it accepted the special characters, but deleted the one it didn't like without telling me, therefore I couldn't log in.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then there's lumber support, which is nothing to do with wood.

Maybe there's lots of Marshalls now and they no longer own it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's spelled "lumbar", even in the UK.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

So you have a timberjack? Doesn't roll off the tongue.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Totally different meanings.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

One hundred apples means 100 x 1 apple. Therefore a hundred twenty means 100 x 20.

I don't expect logic from Americans, they're the thickest lot in the world.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey