Pronouncing decimal numbers

When I were a lad it was called a "four be two". I don't know what builders say now that all measurements are metric.

In your country, perhaps. In most of the rest of the world the change happened long ago.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

One of the first US industries to convert to metric was the liquor bottlers. 750 ml is 7 ml less than the common 'fifth'. It doesn't sound like much but ti's another bottle of booze for sale for every 107.

I'm probably just being cynical but the prime US motivator for anything is money. A few traffic signs close to the border have kilometers and miles but replacing every traffic sign in the country would be pricey with no upside.

Like the beverages some things quietly went metric. The building trades would mean every manufacturer would have to retool or stick with odd metric sizes. Again, costly with no obvious way to recover the cost.

Reply to
rbowman

A lot of folks hereabouts say something like "tuba four".

Reply to
lar3ryca

Around here, they're just studs.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Heyyy!!"

Reply to
Kerr-Mudd, John

AIUI, the "2x4" was the rough cut measurement. For a longtime, lumber wasn't supplied planed (or was priced extra for planed), but now rough cut is rare.

"2x4" will just be a label, and the finished size will be specified in mm. Sounds like that may have happened in Ozland already.

/dps

Reply to
Snidely

It took me a while to remember that this sort of thing is googlable. Here's one response to the question "What are the standard timber sizes for construction?"

The cross-sections they list are 42x35, 70x35, and so on for a number of options. For length, they say "Standard timber lengths are 2.4, 3.0,

3.6, 4.2, 4.8, 5.4 & 6.0m.".

By the way, I started my search with "timber supplies near me". Google responded with

Marshall's Timbers Lumber store Cardiff NSW

Broadmeadow Timber & Building Supplies Lumber store Broadmeadow NSW

and so on.

"Lumber store"? Who says "lumber store" outside America? But apparently Google has helpfully translated it into American for me.

When I click on the link for Marshall's Timbers, I get

Marshall's Timbers Cardiff NSW Did you mean: Marshalls Timbers Cardiff NSW

Apparently Google considers it implausible that a business name could contain an apostrophe.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Apostrophes in business names should be illegal :) I just finished a utility to vet GIS data submitted by sites that flags data like 'Marshall's Timbers' They have a tendency to cause havoc with database manipulations. Something like

string stmnt = "select location from business where business_name = 'Marshall's Timbers'"

is going to fail. You need to escape the '. Usually '' works.

Reply to
rbowman

The American term that I know is "lumber yard".

Reply to
TonyCooper

The noun "lumber" simply does not exist in AusE. (We do recognise the word, but never use it.) We call it "timber".

We do have a verb "lumber".

Reply to
Peter Moylan

In the US, the word "timber" is usually used to mean uncut wood. If I chop down a tree, I now have timber. If I saw that timber into planks, I have lumber.

Reply to
TonyCooper

Some online dictionaries agree with that, but others seem to say that it's lumber after you cut down the tree, but before you cut it into planks.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Yeah, OK, but an American who is looking for a place to buy a 2 x 4 looks for a "lumber yard", and considers that 2 x 4 a piece of lumber. Actually, though, "lumber yards" are fast disappearing and have been replaced by stores like Home Depot and Lowe's that sell lumber as well as a full range of tools and DIY products.

Reply to
TonyCooper

Den 26.03.2023 kl. 05.41 skrev Peter Moylan:

Monty Python can't be completely unknown in Australia.

Reply to
Bertel Lund Hansen

You don't need to know what a lumberjack is to appreciate the song. As it happens, though, I do know what he is. He's a timber cutter or tree feller.

Cue a picture of two men reading the job ads in an Irish employment office. One of them says,

"That's a real pity, Mick. It says here that they want tree fellers, and there's only two of us."

Reply to
Peter Moylan

I was trying to remember the term I was used to, but I couldn't. That was it!

I've never heard "lumber store."

Reply to
Ken Blake

Not me. I never have timber or lumber that way.

That's because I never chop down trees or cut logs into planks.

In my youth, I probably chopped down a small tree or two, but I never cut one into planks.

I also never stir my coffee with my thumb..

Reply to
Ken Blake

Yes.

Out of curiosity, I just went to Amazon.com to see if they also sold lumber. They do.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Speaking of lumberjacks and songs, I'm curious as to whether you understood my reference to stirring coffee with my thumb.

Reply to
Ken Blake

I sure did.

Lyrics: