Problem with crown molding ending at open wall

Mike,

I'd glue up a nice block of wood (with a decorative carv>> Mikepier wrote:

Reply to
David L. Martel

Is his crown to long in photo 2? I mean the short point, extending beyond the cabinet?

Phish is on target with the crown being to long.

The photo is tricky... until one looks (like me several times).

Reply to
Oren

Thats what i was thinking too. Cut the top and bottom pieces short of the wall, then do a return on both. But I'm not sure how it will look since the cabinet is going straight. But I'll cut some trial pieces and see how it looks. I'll try to post pics on that as well.

Reply to
Mikepier

This was an oversight on my part. The cabinets fit, but I did not take into account the crown on top. You live and learn

Reply to
Mikepier

Genius, sheer genius.

Reply to
Mikepier

Oren, its hard to see in the pics, but the molding is going against the wall, just like the cabinet. The end of the cabinet and the bottom of the molding line up with each other.

Reply to
Mikepier

I really want to see how this works out, now. The pic 2 is deceptive.

Reply to
Oren

In a similar circumstance I used 1 x 4 red oak to make a simulated floor-to-ceiling post at the corner of the doorway (using the 1 x 4s on two connecting sides so they had the appearance of a 4 x 4 post). . I then added an 8" moulding around the bottom and top of the "post" using the same type of wood (and used an ogee bit in the router to give this home-made moulding some character) which made that part of the post stick out from the wall further than did the crown molding. Then, I butted the crown molding to the post.

Reply to
JimR

Yep, that's what I'd do, too. It's all fine and dandy to talk about reworking the doorless doorway and calculating the size and location of your cabinets based on the crown molding, but that's putting the cart before the horse. Having a nicely cut small return will look just fine and is exactly what molding and trim is supposed to do in a house - mask all the little imperfections and gaps and make it look perfect.

BTW, what beer did you have when you got home? This is tough thinking stuff, so none of that wussy beer. You need something thick and dark that you can chew on while ruminating on woodworking solutions. It's better brain food than fish.

RicodJour

After all this discussing,planning & thinking, I need something a little bit stronger than beer now

Reply to
Mikepier

OK here is a pic of the molding with a return. Its pic#8 of the album

Mikepier

Does the Mrs. know about this situation yet? If you handle it right, you could invent a reason for a new power tool.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There ya go! I think it looks far better that way than if it were just straight and there was a long extension back to the wall. The long straight extension looks like the crown molding wanted to keep going as if it had a life of its own and wasn't married to the cabinet. It _should_ be married to the cabinet, damn it! All of this divorce and free living - it jist ain't right!

RicodJour

If that doesn't get you AT LEAST a batch of cookies, call the Husband Union local office immediately.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Define 'cookie'. =:O

RicodJour

After almost 40 someodd posts, I think that was the best solution for the return. It looks pretty good. On a sidenote, while I was cutting that return piece, the chip shield on my Makita saw broke.(This after spending $70 for a new 14" blade). I tried using it without the shield, but its impossible because not only does the wood fly out into the air, the shield was actually part of the fence, so you cant get a straight cut. Plus not to mention its dangerous. The impact left a black and blue on my thumb. Luckiliy my Bro-in-law has a saw, so I'll borrow his when I go to his house today and watch the Jets get killed.

Reply to
Mikepier

Apparently, the power tool industry has managed to convince Lowe's & Home Despot to stop selling real mitre boxes, except for cheap piece of crap $13.00 toys from Stanely. But, for molding, a good mitre box is a real pleasure to use. Slower than a power tool, but extremely precise, and the cuts are very clean. If you're in the mood to buy yourself a nice gift, this is it:

JoeSpareBedroom

I don't have one of the Jorgensen's, but I always thought it was a good unit, so I don't understand why it's gotten such horrible reviews on Amazon.

RicodJour

I don't either. Besides cutting molding, I've found it to be useful for all sorts of projects involving small pieces of wood that I wouldn't be comfortable cutting on a table saw (along with my fingers, which I'm sorta fond of).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Looks good. What is the end view now, compared to photo 3? Better I bet.

Reply to
Oren