Priming MDF surfaces ( not cut edges )

Hello- I built soffits in my basement using MDF. All the cut edges of the MDF are either inside unexposed joints or are covered up by pre-primed moulding.

Can I prime the smooth outer surfaces of the MDF with just regular old PVA primer before I paint or is there something special that should be used with MDF?

My plan is to prime with PVA and then applya white latex paint. I plan on using an airless sprayer.

Thanks for any feedback...

Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

After a little more research, I'm thinking about using an oil based primer ( probably the 'odorless' Killz ) along with a Latex paint. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

Since nobody replied I guess I'll answer your question. Definitely do not use a latex primer. The water based product may "soften" the surface of the mdf and cause it to swell slightly. Not enough to cause real damage, but enough to make it a little rough. An oil primer, "cheap" will work, will seal the surface quickly and give you a good bite for your favorite topcoat.

Ed

Reply to
cyberbob

cyberbob wrote on 14 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I've been building custom shelves for a couple of years from MDF, and I always use latex Kilz. I've never had a problem. I put on one coat of Kilz, which dries in a couple of hours. I then sand it smooth and put on two finish coats of latex paint. Depending on the paint, I can get a mirror finish.

There's nothing wrong with using the oil-based primers, but strong smells are triggers for my wife's migraines, so I avoid them.

Reply to
Steve