Price Check on Kitchen Soffit removal

I have a small island in my kitchen (2ft X 5ft) Over that is a drop in the ceiling (a soffit basically) and that has 2 can lights in it.

I got a bid of $850 to remove the soffit, Drywall the hole, "Stucko" the ceiling area to match th erest of the kitchen ceiling, and paint it. This includes mounting a hanging light fixture from the ceiling using the existing wiring from the can lights.

Does $850 (in Indiana) seem reasonable for this type of job?

Reply to
appelq

get bids from qualified contractors and compare locally. how could anyone guess, blind?

Reply to
SQLit

I had a soffit removed when my kitchen was remodeled. The contractor suspected that it wouldn't be that simple and he was right. There was plumbing from the floor above inside the soffit.

If you haven't fully opened the soffit, you might want to do more checking. I don't know your situation, but the estimate you have might be high just in case there are problems. Or, when it is opened, the contractor might ask for more money to deal with the issue.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You can try to estimate the time required and figure at least $50 per hour per man. Materials should be less than $50 excepting the light fitting.

$850 seems high but I tend to think that for most small jobs I have had quoted.

If the soffit is covering plumbing from the floor above it will be higher cost.

Get another couple of quotes.

Reply to
marks542004

get another couple of bids and that should tell you.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I just did that for my whole Kitchen... a smallish kitchen (10 x 10), but it had a 11" dropped ceiling. I removed it all myself (kinda fun with a 3-lb hand-sledge), but let the pros put the ceiling back in. Here's why I'm replying... MY dropped ceiling had some upstairs plumbing in there... that's why it was dropped. Had to have the plumbing redone to move it up in the 2x10's above it. It did work, and now I have a much bigger-feeling kitchen (and taller cabinets), but it's something to watch out for before you remove the soffit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Henderson

I just tore mine out and had a similar issue. The soffit was 12" X 12" X 7'. I thought it was just a plywood box attached to the drywall. Turned out they had added a short length onto the existing built in soffit and then covered the entire thing in 1/8" plywood. I found the plumbing vent jutted into it about 6". Had my carpenter rebuild it the entire 7' length of the counter/cabinets, but only about 6X6". Still creates the space, but hides the pipe (no way to move) and looks more finished than a small box sticking out in the middle of the room.

Reply to
tev9999