Space Above Kitchen Cabinets

Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect dust?

Reply to
Jerry

Tell your wife to buy collectible plates :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Store seldom-used pots and pans up there? Better than what the PO's of my house did which was to enclose that space with drywall.

nate

Reply to
N8N

My Dad boxed his in using hidden hinges and latches. IT looked like any old soffit but if you pushed in the right spot, the door hinged up and exposed a hidden storage space. OF course none of us were tall enough to reach it so it didnt get used very often (mostly to hide the christmas presents that nobody liked but just couldnt dispose of.)

Reply to
jmagerl

Dang...I forgot about all those Olde Britain Castles plates!

Reply to
Jerry

Put flourescent light fixtures up there, ive just done it in the last

8 kitchens, lights up the ceiling nicely,
Reply to
ransley

Why will there be space? Why not install them up to the ceiling? How about no upper cabinets at all? I have no cabinets above my counters, and I just can't imagine how closed-in upper cabinets must make the kitchen. I have one floor to ceiling cabinet next to the fridge and one cabinet over the fridge which goes up to the ceiling. The other 11 cabinets are all beneath the counters and island. Don't the cabinets block a few of the windows?

Reply to
<h>

Hide up there when the in-laws come over.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I put a nice radio up there with a remote control. I think it is a Cambridge Soundworks.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Jerry wrote in news:rj3lg39vna9c88uaq1utv639co3tcval4a@

4ax.com:

Trinkets, misc "straw" thingys, lighting, etc.

Here&#39;s what I did with the space on one kitchen I redid.

What it was like before:

Al Bundy

Yup, that&#39;s what I would do. You should be able to create some bright but very diffuse lighting for the work areas.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

== Put 11 inch cabinets there?

Reply to
Gini

I keep nice mixing bowls and serving bowls in the space - very handy, and I don&#39;t have to dig around in a cupboard for them. Even have room for Jack D. to stand in the corner.

Reply to
Norminn

I leave the space above the cabinets uncluttered. It makes for faster, easier cleaning.

Reply to
Phisherman

Firstly, kitchen low priority. The kitchen is for getting food and pinching the wifes bum when she is cooking and can&#39;t deflect your advances.

Second, do not store anything up there it will gather dust and look even worse than an empty space.

Third, start brewing your own beer and store the bottles up there. This will drive the wife crazy and she will insist that you store your bottles in the shed/workshop or basement. You will move your bottles and get to spend some quality time in the shed. Your wife will take possession of the space above the cupboards and the problem will now be hers. Job done.

Seriously, cupboards up that high are a waste of time (unless really really need the space) we have some up high in our kitchen with a similar gap above. We used to store baskets up there but my wife is not tall enough to reach them so they just got covered in dust and we obviously didn&#39;t need them so finally ended up throwing them out.

The flourescent lights are not a bad idea, add it to the list of things to do before you die.

I reckon drywalling it the best option, it may seem a waste of space, but it will tidy it up nicely and there will be no issues with dust, hideous plates bought from the back of readers digest or relationship issues resulting from too much home brewed beer. Plus an extra bonus with the drywalling job is that you are close to the fridge and may be able to get the odd bum pinch in while you are doing the job. What more could a man want, tools, food and sex (well a knock back anyway).

Reply to
AussieRich

In America, a wife&#39;s bum is a husband

Reply to
RBM

Box it in is the best option. There comes a point where style should give way to practical. Anything stored up there, or just left empty is a dust collector. Some people might use it for storeage but I wouldn&#39;t. I am 6&#39; but still need a &#39;grabber&#39; or stool to get things off the top shelf of the cabinets as it is.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Fairly useless area. We made the space a feature, by putting low wattage rope lighting along the back of the top cabinets, so at night the slight illumination would kill the dark shadows in that area, making it dramatic vs cavernous..

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Nice idea. As I&#39;m considering building a new home, I&#39;m going to keep that in mind. But, what I did in this house when remodeling, was to buy

36" upper cabinets instead of 30". I then dropped the ceiling around the perimeter of the kitchen .... about 2&#39; out. In the middle of the kitchen is rectangle of the original height ceiling. To make it interesting, instead of just a rectangle, I cut off the corners making it a stretched octagon. On the vertical between the original ceiling and the dropped ceiling, about 6", we put a wallpaper boarder. In addition, in the original ceiling are 2 small skylight ports, about 22" x 30". The skylights are great, because the kitchen was very dark. Boy, that was hard to describe. I know it&#39;s probably too late for the OP, but most people really like the look.
Reply to
Art Todesco

if you can&#39;t change the cabinets that your getting to reach up to the ceiling, than i would artfully display my cookbooks and do-dads!

Reply to
readandpostrosie