garage remodeling question

Hi, I want to put up dry walls in my garage (average size 2 car garage), I also need to replace the garage door and the opener. I will hire a contractor to do it. But I am wondering about the order I should do them in.

I am thinking

Garage door/opener Putting insulation on the side Drywall?

What about the ceiling? How do they put drywalls in the garage to form a ceiling? Right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of beams they can nail the dry wall for the ceiling. Do they need to add some support beams for the ceiling? How about insulation for the ceiling? Are those usually done?

There are also not much electrical outlets and lights in the garage, too dim. Does the electrical work happen before or after the drywall? At the minimum I want to have some florecent lights on both side of the garage, does the electrican usually lay out all the wires before putting up the drywall?

Thanks!

Reply to
nospam.home

It is so much easier doing the wiring before you do the insulation and drywall.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

If you hand the project to a General Contractor, he will decide the order of work. Most of your concerns fall within the knowledge of a competent builder. The problem, at leas in my area, is to find a competenet buildier. TB

Reply to
tbasc

The typical order of construction is:

  1. Foundation
  2. Framing
  3. Exterior doors/windows.
  4. Plumbing
  5. Electrical
  6. Insulation
  7. Drywall
  8. Painting
  9. Electrical fixtures (ceiling lights, etc.)
  10. Interior doors, trimwork, and final finish materials.

The first three are pretty obvious. Plumbing usually goes in the wall first because it is relatively large and has to maintain specific slopes. It's harder to route it around other obstacles.

Electrical goes in next because it can be routed around plumbing, framing members, etc.

Then insulation fills the gaps left in the wall and everything gets covered with drywall.

When I built our garage, I built the garage door jambs first (basically part of the framing). I had very little plumbing to deal with in the garage, so electrical went in next. Then we insulated, covered everything with drywall, and painted.

The garage door needed some special 2x6 mounting boards on the inside of the garage. I installed these after the drywall, but before painting so they could be painted to match.

The garage doors were the last thing to be installed.

What does the ceiling look like now?

Ceiling joists and rafters are normally spaced every 16" or 24". Drywall easily screws to the underside of the joists (or the rafters if you have vaulted ceilings).

If your beams are spaced farther apart, you may have a beam every 36" to

48" or so with thicker decking that can span the longer distance. You could probably just screw the drywall to the underside of the decking, but I would probably frame in joists between beams to provide space for running wiring and whatnot. Although, that kind of thicker decking is often quite attractive. I'd probably just put a finish on the decking and forget the drywall entirely.

If beams are spaced four feet or more apart and the underside of the roof looks like OSB plywood, you may have stress skin panels on the roof. In that case, you should be able to attach the drywall directly to the plywood of the stress skin panel.

It really depends on the type of roof construction you have.

I recommend the newer "T8" style of fluorescent lights with electronic ballast. They work better in colder temps and with the electronic ballast they turn on instantly with no flicker.

The boxes for lights and outlets are usually installed in the wall framing, then the wires are run between the breaker panel and the various boxes. Then the insulation, drywall, etc. are done. Finally, the electrician comes back and installs the switches, lights, and whatnot.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Lots of useful information, thanks!! Hard to describe what I currently have, I will see if I can post some pictures in a week or so...

Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.home

HerHusband covered everything quite well. The idea is to do the stuff that ends up inside the walls first, before the walls go up. Like putting the spaghetti in the bowl before putting the lid on.

Reply to
Hopkins