Pressed Concrete Patio

It's snowing like a B%&@ here today, so I'm dusting off my landscape plans for the backyard. We'd planned to put in a paver patio, roughly 16' x20' but now we're thinking of stamped concrete as something that might be a bit less maintenance (aint as young as I use to be!) Any pros or cons people would like to share? (as I mentioned - snowing now - so we do have some weather extremes to consider!)

Reply to
Mark

We put in a paver patio 3 years ago, and the weeds are insane. It's too big to use Roundup all the time (1200 sq ft).

It's 40' x 30', so I think even 16' x 20' will keep you busy with weeds. I haven't found a solution yet.

Reply to
Mitch

I would go with the pavers. What maintenance? Spray the joints in the spring with a herbicide that lasts all summer. That's all I've done with mine for 6 years.

If you're doing the job yourself, it is a no-brainer. Pavers are the perfect DIY project. Concrete is best left to the masters- especially for big slabs of it.

If you're hiring it out, then this is just an opinion-

Pavers are better looking- no cracking. If there is frost, I would prefer the 'much easier to repair if necessary' paver patio. [do either right the first time and you should be OK for years- but life isn't always that kind.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

0'

There are advantages/disadvantages to both pavers and stamped concrete. I have a large stamped concrete patio thats about 10 years old now. Overall, I'm happy with it. It looks like gray slate stones of varying sizes.

Here's my take on some issures:

Stamped concrete:

Advantage No weed problems Has a smooth, wet looks appearance Wide variety of styles and colors, from cobblestone look to slate.

Disadvantage Needs to be resealed every 2 years to maintain finish Eventually, over enough time, the finish will still deterioriate and start to look weathered, more like concrete, etc. (With mine at 10 years, I applied a solid concrete stain to the whole thing, which made it look like new again) Like all concrete it can crack.

Pavers

Advantage Can easily modify by taking out or adding sections No maintenance No cracking Possibly a DIY job

Disadvantage Weeds - (Agree with the advice to use one of the long lasting herbicides which lasts up to a season) Can shift and become uneven.

Reply to
trader4

Can you tell me the name of the herbicide you use?

I agree with the other poster about shifting. Ours shifted a little and has some dips here and there, but it's not a big deal. The edging heaves up every winter, but I just pound it back down and it stays until the next winter.

Reply to
Mitch

'

I built a patio out of pressure treated wood, and before building it, i purchased a patio tent type to cover it to the exact size i needed for the tent, that is big enough for patio funniture and chairs and uimbrellia. It came out beautiful and when it rains, you have some protection if you like to stay outdoors like i do. It's like a gazebo, only mine is made of a fabric. mgood luck henry

Reply to
jp

I'll try to remember to check the shed & see if there is still some there from last year. No particular brand- I get it at my local borg- look on the shelf for 'season long', or some such claim. I think it is by the same folks who make roundup. It kills the weeds and prevents seeds from sprouting. [Amazon sells Roundup "extended control" and 'season long' - The extended lasts 90days which is essentially my season, anyway. Spray in June- by Sept nothing is sprouting.

I have one spot that has sunk 1/4 inch in 6 yrs. [about a 20x20 patio] I see it when it rains as a 2-3foot round puddle. An hour after a hard rain I can't see it without a straightedge. If I could, I'd pull those pavers out, throw a shovel full - or two- of stone dust in, smooth it out and pound the pavers back in place.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Concrete slabs, including stamped concrete, have one big fault: They all develop cracks, sooner or later. Cracks make a patio very unsightly and lower the resale value of your home. There is nothing you can do with a cracked slab, except replace it at considerable expense. I would go with the pavers.

Reply to
Walter R.

Thanks. I'll check it out *if* spring ever comes to Illinois.

Reply to
Mitch

Mitch@_._ wrote on 08 Mar 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

Look at the nursery for a product that says it kills *everything*. Bayer makes one, and I paid about $8.00 for a quart last year. It did a great job of sterilizing the gap between my fence and the neighbors where the gigantoweeds used to grow. I also applied it all along the fence line so I don't have to use a string trimmer. This year I plan to put it at the edge of all the flower beds.

Be careful. It really *does* kill *everything*.

Reply to
Steve