Electrical question

I have florescent light in my bathroom that I would like to replace with a incandescent fixture. The transformer is attached with 2 wires ( red and blue ) which is going to a toggle switch that turns on the light. I am confused with the blue wire...I've seen black, white...but never blue. Why the blue? Does it replace the neutral White? BTW, there is also a outlet plug next to the toggle switch.

Reply to
Noel

There is definitely more wires attached to the ballast than the red and blue. If you remove the fixture completely, I think you'll find the black and white wires feeding it

Reply to
RBM

Noel's suggestion makes sense. No (inside a flourescent ficture) it probably does not.

While some European and other fixtures use Blue and Brown wires to connect fixtures instead of White and Black, that is not likley, IMO, to be the explanation in your case.

Also btw the bathroom outlet should probably be a GFI type, for safety and insurance purposes. GFI are supposed to be used in areas such as bathrooms and/or outside where garden appliances may be plugged in.

Would stronlgly recommend you get someone who is more familar with wiring/electricity to help out!

Also make sure any necessary grounding wires are in place. You don't want to get a shock between a metal light fixture and say the sink!

Reply to
terry

What feeds the juice to the toggle switch?

Black I bet. I think you will need to remove this before you know what you have.

If this whole mess is not switched on the wall somewhere you may not be able to install a regular light.

Reply to
Colbyt