Press-on fittings and valve info?

I need to replumb a kitchen sink and I saw some sharkbite fittings and valves that appear to just "push" onto the 1/2" copper pipe. I plan to install two ball valves, a "T" for the dishwasher feed and a couple of adapters to connect the Delta faucet.

Has anyone used this type of fitting yet and if so what were your experiences and/or opinions?

Thanks

Reply to
r.mariotti

I have tried 4 "sharkbite" type fittings the last two years and one i have a concern with one and the other three are a-ok.

The one I have a concern with is an elbow on a hot water supply to kitchen, 1/2" copper pipe. This supply is used often and I notice blue/green copper corrision at the joint. Pipe is secured furthur down the line to the floor joists so it doesn't "move" when tap or dishwasher is turn on and off quickly. I'm worried about that elbow though and I think it will fail based on the corrosion but will it fail tomorrow or in 20 years.....

The remaining three sharkbites are all valves. On/off ball valve type that move 90 degrees with a handle. No problems there. All on cold water supply, all on copper pipe.

One thing I notice with sharkbite is that your pipe HAS to be burr free and cut straight or it will not "push" into the connection. I always use a copper pipe cutting tool to ensure accurate straight cuts.

I do not own a propane torch although it's about time I did and taught myself pipe soldering, even though PEX seems to be the way things are going.

Reply to
Duesenberg

Here is a pic of my one sharkbite fitting I have concerns with.

I was hanging a cup under it for about 6 months with never a drop of water collecting in it.

The other three I've installed are as clean as brand new!

Reply to
Duesenberg

Thank you for the feedback. I did more research myself and have decided to give the ball valves a try along with a service tee for the dishwasher feed.

If the corrosion hasn't increased over time could it be from the original connection, perhaps a little spillage when installed, especially if you have well water (untreated)?

Thanks again.

Reply to
r.mariotti