Prepping a concrete crack for Quikrete

DA had written this in response to

: Hello everybody,

Hope someone who knows the product well can give me some pointers.

I have an ugly crack across the entire 8' width of the concrete slab that makes my back patio. I also got a bottle of the liquid Quikrete sealer that should help. The directions on the back say it can fill cracks up to

1/4" wide. It also says that wider crack should be filled with sand before the Quikrete is poured. In addition is says that all debris should be removed first.

I do have some spots where the crack is much wider than 1/4" and it seems to be sort of naturally filled with what seems to be the crushed concrete from the sides of the crack. Should I remove that and replace with sand? What do people use to remove stuff from such tight places, anyways?

Also, in some other places that crack is much smaller, maybe 1/8" or less. I'm not even sure Quikrete will penetrate that because it seems a pretty thick solution. Would it be wise to chisel the sides of the small crack wider so the sealer can get in?

And, lastly, in the worst part of the crack some vegetation had already rooted itself in pretty firmly. Should I kill the weeds first with a herbicide or remove them as much as possible and hope that lack of air and water that Quikrete provides should do the job? I mean, killing the weeds might take a couple of days, and I'd like to do this soon because the weather seems good for the concrete sealer, just as directions prescribe.

Any useful pointers, anyone?

Thanks! D~

-------------------------------------

and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 224241 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

[...]

I have found the best way to clean out the crack space is with a vacuum cleaner. I have never put any sand in, only the filler/sealer material. Leave the larger pieces of crushed concrete in place. Yes, kill and remove the weeds before you put in the sealer.

Reply to
Steve

:

With any cementitous product repairing cracks involves Remove loose debris and dust and organic material Undercut the crack to provide a mechanical bond Moisten the surface so it is damp but not dripping Use the minimum amout of water to make the product workable Keep the patch moist to allow a good cure.

Reply to
beecrofter