Pouring concrete

I am building a 26'X26' pole barn. It calls for 8' sonatubes. I instead built 16"X16" boxes with extra rough cut pine i had left over. I did did not use rebar in the boxes when i poured the concrete. Will this be a big problem for me in the future????

Reply to
Roger

If you are talking about concrete columns to hold the building load . I will guess 8' above ground, why would you not put rebar in the columns? Must be know building inspection. The rebar holds the concrete together and is a major part of it's load capacity, Even concrete piers have a web of rebar. I would not want be in the building

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Gosh Dave it is a pole building, any concrete at all is rare, most are just built on poles stuck into the ground. I've had one up over 10 years & it has survived 80 mph straight line winds that domino-ed the power poles on our road. That said, I can't see pouring any sort of concrete with no metal in it. The OP should have at least used remesh. what will happen is not if, but when a crack occurs it will spread and shift.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

How many did you pour??????

Reply to
Lawrence

Probably - all concrete cracks and the rebar keeps tiny cracks from becoming big cracks. But if it does, you can knock them down one-by-one and replace them with a pole.

Reply to
Bob

Why wait until afterwards to ask? Or, having gone ahead, why bother to ask now?

I suppose you must mean 8", not 8'.

As for whether you'll have a problem, all depends. The rebar is the least of what I'd worry about, the key thing will be did you set them deep enough to be below frost heave line? Secondly how are the poles set on/in them?

Reply to
dpb

This is a very confusing description..

Are you saying that you replaced the 8' foot above ground sonatubes (surrounding the poles) with a 16"x16" solid concrete "block" around each poll? Generally sonotubes are mounted above a footing and all poured at one time. Are the poles set into footings? How far are the poles into the ground? How many poles are there? Is this all surrouned by a slab? What type of roof will be on this? The 16x16 box is virtually usless if it is just above ground around the poles even if it is on top of a slab around the poles. If it is in the ground (like a footing) how deep is it? The rebar issue is the least of your worries if those poles are not in footings or in the ground far enough you may have shifting of the building. As far as cracking and such we pour concrete with more steel in it than you can believe and it still cracks where it is not supposed to, it is a consequense of modern formulations in todays concrete. This is not a huge structure 26x26 dont panic answer my questions and I'll let you konw what you can do to fix it, you may be ok or close to it.

Roger wrote:

Reply to
Italian

I have no experience with a pole building , Unreinforced Concrete or a Wooden Pole, I would take the wooden pole. It dose sound like his plans called for sonatubes instead of poles. Then not using rebar indicates lack of experience.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Just as I sent my reply, I wonder if this is a troll?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't think there is any problem changing from 8 inch sonatubes to form built pier assuming it is the same area and size as what was called for, but I would not eliminate rebar if it was specified.

Your message was well it just does not seem to make sense replacing as 8 foot sonatube with a 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft box of concrete.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Roger

I Poured 8 of them, 3.5 feet is as deep as i could go in 2 of them due to ledge, the other 6 are 4 feet down.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Ha, you just made a footing. Most people probably thought you were talking about a column. Footings don't usually have any rebar in them. Hopefully you put the metal pieces that tie the poles to the footing in the concrete when it was poured.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yes, Each Pole has 2 , 12" bolts embedded intot hte concrete, with 3" protruding out. I am using a system called socket systems (socketsystems.com) On the bolts are steel brackets that mount the

6"X6" posts to the cement. I was orig> Roger wrote:
Reply to
Roger

A ha... completely different story.....I should think you will be just fine that is alot of concrete. My question though is why did you make a box and put it into the ground instead of just using the ground as the form and form (with wood) above the ground.? It really sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

I also dont want to start trouble but footings should ALWAYS have rebar in them where there is going to be a load on them.

Roger wrote:

Reply to
Italian

I never seen any footings whiteout rebar. Most footing or piers like he describes have quiet a bit of rebar. The plans must call for some, was there no building inspection? That might lead to a problem.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

The OP's footings/piers are so overbuilt he should never have any trouble. I can't imagine why he would want all that concrete unless he is where they have tornadoes or hurricanes.

Where I live, nobody uses rebar in any concrete work for small home construction and certainly not for a pole barn or small home shop.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
Roger