Portable Electric Heaters - Which is better?

I've always thought that the ceramic disc heaters were more efficient (?) than the quartz type, but then I heard there's no such thing as an efficient electric portable heater, its all based on wattage and draw represents how many watts of heat you can expect.

So, if you had to compare say a ceramic disc heater, an oil-filled electric radiator, or a quartz-type heater... would one of them have some inherent advantages over the others? For instance, the "radiator" type should be quieter than the ceramic disc type you'd think, and maybe after the circuit is switched off, there's some residual heat... right?

We have a unheated "Florida" room and I've been using a ceramic cartridge heater. It's a bit noisy, and of course... if you are in the room, your eyes get very dry.

Just wondering if there are any opinions on actual use out there?

Reply to
captmikey

i find the ceramic type plug up with dust quickly. whereas the wire-wound ones keep on working. probably could be blown clean with compressed air, but i haven't tried. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Think about it, where could the energy go except as heat. For that matter you could use a toaster oven or a light bulb as an electric heater also; they are 100% efficient also.

Different electric heaters have different properties. The disc ones are designed to have large, relatively cool, heating surfaces. The idea is that by spreading the heat out, no part gets hot enough to ignite a piece of paper that you might get careless with. Other designs have fans, or oil filled tanks, etc. None are inherently better than others; it is just a matter of which fits your need the best.

Reply to
toller

All resistance electric heaters are 100% efficient. No more no less. Heat pumps are over 100% efficient.

Pick the one you like and don't worry a bout efficiency.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I use flourescent shop lights for efficient heating. All the input power winds up as heat, but before it does I get a lot of light. My wifs says she is cold, I turn on a couple of flourescent lights and she is instantly warm even though the temperature is unchanged. If I play a recording of my wood stove's fan she thinks the temp went up 10 deg. If I turn the sound off she gets chilly.

Reply to
Nick Hull

All are 100% efficient but Quarts radiant heat objects not air so the heat can be directed at you not the whole room. It is all individual preference.

Reply to
m Ransley