Popcorn Ceiling

Over the weekend, my daughter and I scraped off the popcorn ceiling in two rooms. We still have few more rooms to go. Our shoulders are sore but the job wasn't real bad.

The ceiling is now pretty much flat except few places where we accidentally knicked the sheetrock backing paper off.

We want the ceiling to have just a LITTLE texture but we just don't know how to do it. Please give us your advice.

  1. Do we need to put some sort of compound back to the ceiling? And if so, what kind of compound should we buy?
  2. How can we texture it?

Thanks very much.

April

Reply to
April

Go to Home Depot and ask about their stucco texture paint. It can have as much or as little stucco-like texture as you want...and it can be tinted just like regular paint, if you want. Paint person there can also show you how it's applied and how to get the finish you want. Neat stuff!!

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I did this in my created great room. When popcorn is sprayed on they do not tape the joints very well. I hired a drywall contractor to come in and do the joints and then spray on the new texture. I am the pits at working with a drywall knife. Look at the ceilings from a corner and see if you can see any irregularities. If you can the stucco/textured paint may not cover it up. You can always get some drywall mud make it like pancake batter by adding water and then with a 3/4 or 1 inch nap roller roll it on. That should cover almost anything. I have seen people using large cell sponges and putting the texture on that way. Personally that looks like more work than I am into.

Reply to
SQLit