Popcorn

Bones don't have skin, right?

Bring me clarity.

Reply to
Oren

Bullshit. The coffee was a (then) standard 180F.

She should have gotten ZERO, and been forced to pay McD's costs.

Reply to
krw

Before calling "bullshit" make sure you have the facts straight. You don't.

The coffee was 185, not 180. 180 was not "standard". And 180 is more than hot enough to cause very serious burns.

Doug Miller

She was not driving. She was a passenger. And the car was parked.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ok, 185 is *NOT* 212, either.

You're full of shit, too. At the time, the *SPECIFICATION* for Dunkin' Donuts coffee was 180F +/- 3F. 180F coffee is very much the standard brewing/serving temperature for coffee.

Reply to
krw

:

Wow since you are such a wealth of information why not explain to the world a valid reason for brewing and serving coffee at the same temperature as the rinse cycle in a commercial dishwasher must be set to in order to insure the dishes are sterilized during the cleaning process...

Also, how long must a person NOT DRINK the coffee served to them at

180 F before they can safely consume a beverage which is some 60 degrees hotter than home hot water heaters are set to prevent scalding injuries...

There is no reason to serve beverages that hot when the only reasoning I have ever heard behind the temperature is "it preserves the flavoring of the coffee"...

Which company do you work for, McD's or Dunkin's ???

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

te:

Look it up. That is the recommended brewing/storage temperature for coffee.

When you get where you're going it's not iced coffee. That's the way people want it, in fact. ...sorta why McD (and DD) served it hot, until the lawyers got in between the maker and the consumer.

Nonsense. You can drink beverages a *lot* hotter than 120F.

You are a fool (no news here).

Reply to
keith

Bottom line, only a MORON puts a beverage cup BETWEEN THEIR legs and then takes off the cap, moving car or not. You're just begging to have liquid spill on you, hot or cold. Who does that? Only morons.

Because the coffee temperature was unusually hot for coffee and the coffeecup lids used by McD's then were of a design unusually prone to causing customers to to spill hot coffee. And McD's resisted fixing that after something like about 600 burn injury complaints until one went as far as the famous lawsuit.

Furthermore, she was not driving the car. The car was parked when she spilled coffee onto her crotch and as a result needed skin graft surgery to repair 3rd degree burns (as defined by killing the entire thickness of all layers of the skin in at least a significant part of the burn area).

There are much better examples than this one for citing how USA has excessive existence/extent of lawsuits.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

In part, because McD's choice of coffeecup lids back then was excessively bad at requiring customers to get more adventurous in order to drink their coffee.

It is unusual for coffee to be that hot.

My "day job" has a Bunn "Pour-O-Matic" coffeemaker and I measured its output to be 158 degrees F mere seconds after I filled my cup with such. On the time when I took a measurement of the coffee temperature at my greatest "side job" on-site in place-of-business of my greatest client, it was even cooler, about 147 F.

Coffee needs to be served at a temperature where it is drinkable, as opposed to "SEAR THE SKIN FROM HIS/HER BONES". Especially if the company serving the coffee is not trying to do something along the lines of reducing usage of "free refills" by making the coffee less drinkable.

Don Klipstein

I seem to think that stellawards.com cited serving temperature of

185 F.

And I have been somewhat crazy enough to on a few occaisions take a thermometer into the workplace and deploy the thermometer unto the coffee...

The output of the Bunn "Pour-O-Matic" at my "day job" mere seconds after filling my cup was 158 F. And my cup was a plastic mug with name of one of one of University of Pennsylvania's fraternities.

I even carried the same thermometer into the place of business of my biggest client. Mere seconds after serving into a styrofoam cup, I measured about 147 degrees F.

I consider the famous McD-coffee case to have low similarity to abusing "microwave popcorn" due to the infamous coffee not being abused except by its seller (in large part from unusually high serving temperature and by its customers necessitating abuse due to abusive packaging design [coffeecup lids having a design more promoting spills]).

Reply to
Don Klipstein

(edited for space by me, snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

How 'bout I take my favorite thermometer into "day-job work" with me this coming Friday and I check out the temperature of the coffee that I purchase from Dunkin Donuts on a "usually weekly Friday late-afternoon run" on behalf of and reimbursed by the owner of my "day job" workplace?

That particular Dunkin Donuts would have its address being some odd number in the 3400's of Walnut St in Philadelphia PA USA, with zip code of 19104.

I did just now put this thermometer into the backpack that I commute with to/from my "day job", usually by bicycle.

I dare to do so because my "day job" has a Bunn "Pour-O-Matic" that delivers coffe that gets served at temperature more like 158 F even mere seconds after going into either a plastic mug or a styrofoam cup. That is according to the above-mentioned thermometer!

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Or the McD's customer in a parked car trying to drink unusually hot coffee from a cup that was capped by a faultily-unusually-difficult (in relevant way) coffeecup lid.

Don Klipstein

e:

e:

e:

DD dialed down their serving temperature, too, after McDs got bitch slapped. It's barely warm enough to drink on the spot.

Reply to
keith

Wishful thinking. If he decided to sue, I would give him a better than

50% chance of receiving a settlement.

Case in point, the VERY famous case of a woman pouring McDonald's coffee on her crotch and receiving a very tidy sum. You liberals and personal injury lawyers can whine and cry about the coffee being hotter than it needed to be all you want, but the coffee never should have been in that general location to begin with.

It's not going to get any better until people start practicing what they preach, and sticking with their convictions.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Cup says, "CAUTION HOT"

I'd say that's an EPIC FAIL on reading directions, myself...

Reply to
mkirsch1

"Recommended" by whom ? The NIST lab, the FDA ? Oh, I think that you are referring to the standards set by the restaurants...

Don't BUY coffee that far in advance... If you MUST do that, stop your car somewhere safe and pour it from the disposable cup it was served to you in and keep it in a thermally insulated travel mug which will keep it warmer longer...

Not really... But then again scalding injuries to internal tissues are something you are not able to see and not necessarily always feel either...

And it is better to be foolish than stupid... You are stupid if you think that all coffee should be brewed and served as hot as the water used in a commercial dishwasher just so that some people who are rushing to get to work 100 miles away from where they bought their coffee will still have a warm drink when they arrive...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Prior to the lawsuit everyone here has made mention of, the cups did not carry that warning in any way which would be recognized as a warning... The old cups used to have very tiny letters which blended in nicely to the decorative designs on the cup...

EPIC FAIL to not have a clear warning label on a beverage container when the liquid inside is hotter than someone can safely drink it when it is sold to them... You can now thank that little old lady who burned herself with hot coffee for the clearer warning on the cups used now...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Instead of believing me (which you won't), why don't you do a simple web search. You'll find 180F to 200F temperatures recommended. ...or would you rather just remain ignorant?

Here's a starter:

"Water temperature is crucial to the proper extraction of flavor from the ground coffee. The recommended brewing temperature of coffee is 93 °C (199.4 °F)."

Others have differing temperatures, but they're all hotter than your *stupid* suggestion of 120F.

Are you always this stupid? (rhetorical question; we know the answer)

Yes, really. You are stupid.

I was wrong. You're unbelievably stupid.

Reply to
krw

Speaking of popcorn..........I found out this weekend that I was a diabetic, which means I have to give up butter.

Popping popcorn in a paper bag works like a charm. No clean up, also no flavor. A little lemon pepper helps a little :(

I am learning that if food tastes good, spit it out.

Reply to
Metspitzer