Poor Richard's Almanac

Think I mentioned here that early this year that a tree fell on my neighbor Richard's house and wife in the yard. She could not work for a couple of months and has rods in both legs. They had to fight with the insurance company about cost of a new roof and guttering but found good source for both repairs.

Now his well has gone dry and they are drilling a new one right now. Digger told me it could be $5 to 8 thousand. I've been feeding them water with a hose between the houses for the last 3 days. I told him I am glad to help them but don't like even thinking about my well. Digger says aquifer is not like a pond but like a bunch of veins or streams of water.

Thought this might be of interest to group as my own well water seems to have improved in last couple of years with less sediment. Mine tastes fine but a few neighbors don't like theirs and get bottled water.

Poor Richard is also suffering leaks in his PEX piping. Not the pipe itself but the crimped joints. Plumber told me repairing a leak nearly

20 years ago that my copper pipes would not last with well water. I still have the pipes and have not had a leak since.
Reply to
Frank

Local municipality ran water down my street. I called to see how much to hook up.

$8500 tap fee + $2000 to tunnel under road + $2500 to run from curb to house. Obviously I decided to keep my well.

Reply to
Lago Húmedo

You did not factor in the cost per month for the water either.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sediment is usually handled with a filter. Sometimes two, one for the rocks and the next for the fine stuff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're fortunate. Some towns require you to hook up when they run water or sewer. Its all about money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was just talking to the well digger about that. We both figured in the long run you are better with the well. Unfortunately you might have to pay half of what you saved at one time. My son that lives in a development nearby pays nearly $1,000/yr for water and $450 for sewer so I figure I've saved the equivalent of $65,000 for the 45 years I've lived here. Subtract cost of a couple of pumps and pressure tanks, septic clean out every several years so and need for an alternate drain field my home system still saves a ton of money.

Poor Richard has only been in his house a couple of years and unfortunately the well cost is up front for him.

Reply to
Frank

Yah, around here that's another $900/yr.

Reply to
Lago Húmedo

I have a sediment filter. Usually lasts 6 months. Plumber tested water and tried to convince me to exchange calcium but it was only slightly high and I did not do it. Richard has one from previous owner but when he bought the house code required salt flush go to a separate drain field as too much salt can be bad for the septic.

Richard came over a few minutes ago and said water restored with new well. They had shocked it with chlorine as they normally do when work is done on it so he will be coming over a couple of days to get drinking water for his dogs. He said he is preparing for the shock of the bill next week. New well is not far from old but sunk nearly twice as far,

200 ft. with recovery rate of 7 gal/min. Old had fallen off to a trickle. Hope it does not happen to me.
Reply to
Frank

Yah, sewer was mandatory hookup but the $7000 fee was payable at 2% interest over 10 years.

Water hookup was optional but hookup was $13,000 cash now.

Reply to
Lago Húmedo