Pool and phosphates

After chasing no chlorine for most of the summer, our pool store finally go around to testing for phosphates (run off from our grass service). They found a bunch. Their suggestion was to basically replace the water in the pool. Any way to chemically or other wise leach out the phosphates? Seems like something we will have to multiple times over the course of the summer.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Just a thought: Before all this talk by the pool industry about phosphates and phosphate removal products, thousands of pool were kept clear simply by ...proper chlorination. In other words, there is absolutely no reason to replace the water multiple times during the summer because of phosphates.

There are many other reasons why you would be 'chasing chlorine' other than high phosphate levels.

The secret to clear pool water is two-fold: proper levels of sanitizer efficiency and pH.

Reply to
giroup01

We also spent most of the summer chasing pH and alkalinity.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Be skeptical of pool store tests, especially when the infallible computer tells you to buy a bunch of stuff.

Dose 10 ppm free chlorine in the evening and lower pH to 7.0. Cures just about anything that can outgas from the water.

Pool stores look like pharmacies any more. They have bottles of high- priced remedies for every possible ailment, when you hardly ever need anything but the most ordinary chemistry.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I had a real high level Phosphate in my pool it's food for Algae. I used a product called Zero-Phos (

) It took care of it. I discontinued the yard service, I can fertilize my pool myself.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Then filter out the algae, and you filter out the phosphate.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Salt water generators raise pH to about 7.8 due to the production of sodium hydroxide and features like waterfalls raise pH by freeing up carbonic acid. In this last case you may see a significant drop in alkalinity when you r-eadjust the pH downwards.Do you have a SWG and/or waterfalls/fountains?

Reply to
giroup01

Nope, just your standard run-of-the mill swimming pool with sand filter, chlorinator, diving board and lousy chemistry..

Reply to
Kurt Ullman