Last year I got hit with algae early so I got "phosfree" and it cleared
Went to a maintance dose of "pool perfect phosfree" earlier this year
and the algae came this year about two months ago.
Part of my problem (i think) is I'm getting my phoshates checked at the
pool supply and they have changed help numerous times. I need a good
regent test for phosphates and I've been told that here before. The guy
told me 300ppb yesterday (but I really doubt that number) Usually in the
My chlorine level is monitored closely. Yesterday it was 3ppm I just
tested PH and it was 7.4 in a quick test with a calibrated probe that's
pretty accurate. The store said I needed alkaline but only 3.5lbs which
sounds about right for this time of year.
My knee jerk reaction is to buy more "Phosfree" but I don't know for
sure. *I do know* I'll be getting a phosphate regent test.
How do metals play in algae growth?
Anyone else use "Phosfree" then "Pool Perfect Phosfree" with better results?
Green yellow algae with spots on plaster that have to be periodically
Central TX (Hotter than it's ever been ~ 105 today) Damn I want to go
back to NM!
At least 50% shade on pool. (nice!)
10,000 gal pool and spa.
If your suggestion is to get a phosphate regent test don't waste your
time. I already know that. Thanks
I just said that. Don't use the pool if the chlorine scares you.
I know shock isn't sold as algae control. I'm just sharing my
I've been through the pool store test regimen. I've had yellow algae,
black algae, green algae and specific treatments that were supposed to
cure each. None of them ever seemed to work.
But then I figured out that if I over-shock the pool, everything growing
in the pool dies overnight. Typically the green water turns cloudy white and
in a day or 2 the filter removes the white.
On 7/27/2011 9:49 AM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Filter media makes a difference. Sand filters can let tiny dead algae
through unless u use a substance that has to be backwashed.
What I did this time is check the phosphates and they were high so I
used phosfree, chlorine and a floc like chemical then backwashed. The
thing that works is *killing everything*; *let the pool settle 48
hours*. put some floc in the filter ~ vacuum through the floc and
backwash. Works for me everytime. But it can get expensive. Chemicals
and water and all.
Do you shock the pool regularly? What is the stabilizer level (too
much is bad)?
You can get good chlorine numbers and still not have much "free"
Do you know where the phosphate is coming from?
On 7/26/2011 10:49 AM, email@example.com wrote:
phosphates must be coming from the atmosphere. rain has been light so
lots of dust, leaves......
I'm going right now to get the test.
Once a week shock if not more.
That's another issue is I need to move my chemicals because it's too hot
to store them outside.
My PhosFree comes with phosphate test kit, big enough to last the
Here in the Ohio River Valley,this year, the heat, sun and rain are
playing hell with my chemistry-especially chlorine and pH.
Rain seems to pick up phosphates from the farm fields in IN, then
dumps it all in our pool. It's been a constant challenge, until I
I dump 1L of PF in the skimmer every month, regardless of what the
test says, if I bother to test it, which I usually don't. I ain't got
I can't overemphasize the value of a relationship with good, local
pool store, if you can find one.
Online, these guys seem to provide the best info in my case:
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.