Polyurethane: oil over water versus water over oil

I've polyurethaned some maple trim with a water based finish (no color, just poly). It didn't quite get the slightly rich yellow sheen I'd hoped for to match some other maple nearby, which oil based finish would have given me. I vaguely remember that you can either put oil based over water based, or vice versa..... Of course now I can't remember which.

Has anyone tried this? I'd like to "richen up" the trim, and sanding it down to try it all again is out of the question. I do have some scraps I could try it on, but I figured I'd ask first.

Reply to
Andrew Duane

Put either over either when thorouglly dry and after sanding.

Reply to
dadiOH

Don't know if it will stick or not, but it won't give you the effect you are looking for. The warming comes from the interaction of the oil with the wood, which won't happen with the poly in the way.

Reply to
Toller