I don't have any questions, I just thought people would like to hear
about a little bathroom improvement project. The old bathroom off the
master bedroom was still functioning fine, but was looking pretty shabby.
The vinyl floors were vintage 1973, original with the house, the medicine
cabinet was cheap by 1973 standards, the toilet seat was frozen on so
tight I couldn't replace it, and somebody with no drywall skills had
installed a ceiling fan. I had already replaced the sink last year.
Cleaning up the bathroom was an easy fix. I pulled the toilet, pulled
the vinyl, soaked the old glue off the floor with DIF, and floated a top
coat on the ceiling. Since the ceiling was small, I did a spray texture
with a couple aerosol cans to match the orange peel that should have been
there. I also replaced the old aluminum slider with a new vinyl window
while I was mudding stuff.
While I had the toilet out, I took it apart, took a garden hose to it and
cleaned all the sediment out of the rim. It was not flushing well
because of mineral buildup in the rim. Cleaning it out restored it to
good as new. It is an American Standard, and the porcelain is in good
shape with no stains. I replaced all the valves, gaskets and washers.
The seat came off with a little careful hacksaw work. Toilet seats were
never intended to last 30 years!
Back in the bathroom, I gave the walls and ceiling a new coat of
paint, added some screws to the underlayment to eliminate squeaks,
scraped it smooth as possible and floated the rest with Fixall. A $10
vinyl remnant and some rubber base finished the floor, except for the
furnace register. I ran the old register through the dishwasher, hit it
with some rusty metal primer, and gave it a nice rattle can coat of cream
The bathroom is small, so I installed a 4' bevelled glass medicine
cabinet on the wall opposite the window, and replaced the old chrome and
glass light fixture with a nice brushed nickel and porcelain unit.
I also installed matching towel bars under the window and towel hooks
next to the shower
The shower is tile, and in excellent shape, except for a few grout joints
around the top of the door. I took a dreml tool to the loose grout, and
scrubbed in new grout where it was needed.
So that polished up the whole bathroom. I don't know what the cost of
the project was, but the most expensive thing was $169 for the medicine
cabinet. Next was $25 for a toilet seat, and about $25 total for the
vinyl, Fixall, rubber base and glue. $16 for a gallon of paint, and
about $16 for two cans of spray texture. The window was part of
replacing all the windows in the house, which is a different project.
Call it about $300 for the whole project.
So now the bathroom is looking so nice that my wife insists we replace
the carpet in the master bedroom. I spent last weekend dealing with
moving a king sized water bed out of the bedroom. The wet vac really
paid for itself. After I siphoned all the water out that I could, I used
the wet vac to pull about 200 lbs. of water out of the anti-slosh
padding. I could actually roll the mattress up and walk out with it over