Plumbing Repair

Someone suggested using an automobile flex hose held on with clamps instead of the standard rigid PVC U-trap. This is for the drain pipe under the laundry sink. Will this work? We can't use the washer until have an answer and a reason why it would/wouldn't work. Thanks for any reply.

Reply to
sherry

Is there some reason you can't do it *right*, and use a standard PVC trap?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes that will work as long as you ad a muffler from a 73 Ford BEFORE the flex hose. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sure. I assume you're talking about a smooth-interior hose.

I would think the ripple-ribbed hoses would tend to trap debris. On the plus side, it should be easy to remove the trap and clean it out...

Reply to
HeyBub

home deot had a soft rubber one that uses clamps . its handy for many reasons. but i mostly use it when a pvc one doesnt fit properly.lucas

ds549

Just make sure it is bent to create a P-trap and it would work. If it were me I would use a proper plastic P-trap if possible.

Reply to
cm

I forgot about the flexible rubber ones at HD. They would work better than the auto hose because they are not as stiff.

cm

Reply to
cm

The washing machine we bought last year had a ribbed section on the far end of the manufacturer supplied drain hose so it could be be bent to suit the angle of the drain pipe it empties into.

No problems with trapped debris so far.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Well, yeah. Mine does too. But washing machines have filters so chicken bones and diamond rings don't get in the pump.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've got a moulded flexible hose trap on one of my sinks and it works. It isn't automotive - it was made for the job, but if you could hold the flex in the right shape to provide a functional trap, it would work..

BIG if though.

Reply to
clare

Put the velocity through a 1" hose is apreciably higher than the drain will see, and it is pumped under pressure so is relatively "self cleaning"

Reply to
clare