plumbing question -- under kitchen sink

I was installing a new kitchen sink and was using pvc plumbing underneath. The threaded pipe coming out of the wall, however, was (I believe) galvanized steel (1960's construction). Unfortunately, the galvanized steel pipe was very corroded so as I was attaching the pvc pipe to the galvanized steel pipe, the galvanized steel pipe broke. So now there is not threaded end on the galvanized steel pipe. Is there some type of coupling that I could purchase to connect the pvc to the galvanized steel without a threaded end? Do I need to replace the length of galvanized steel completely? I don't know much about plumbing so I am looking for advice on what to do next. Do I just need to call a plumber at this point? The galvanized steel does not run through the entire house. It appears to be on just undersink plumbing.

Thanks for any advice

Paul

Reply to
PaulD

very common problem. and home depot has just the solution with flexible different sized rubber adaptors. i'm not sure the real name but they have hose clamps at both ends of a rubber tube. you buy the size that JUST fits over your pipe and tighten it up good. these even take care of those awful sections where you've installed a mis-aligned pipe and need to bridge a few inches.

for longer requirements, i've always used auto radiator hose. that stuff will last forever. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

They are called FERNCO couplings. But if that pipe broke while attaching PVC, it must be very weak. I'd replace it with PVC also. It's probably just a foot or less to the elbow. Or, just run PVC to the basement (assuming this is on the first floor).

Reply to
dave

I agree here that if the galvanized broke before you broke a pvc coupling it's gone. To increase the likelihood you will decide to take the advice to replace it rather than the quick term fix (at least relatively soon, I wouldn't say not to put the sink together to use and then plan out the job to repair the whole thing or get professional help if you think it's over your head), I'll point out that galvanized of that age and with such a weak spot in one place is very likely on the verge of developing a leak somewhere else that may not be so convenient in time and place as now while you have the water shut off and are where you'll notice something amiss.

It probably won't fail tomorrow, but it is surprising how often after disturbing any part of an old galvanized piping system there is another failure very soon thereafter simply owing to the age and apparently accelerated by breaking/disturbing the corrosion layer(s)...

Reply to
dpb

FERNCO couplers are for DWV (drains), not water supply. This is water supply methinks.

If you have galvanized water pipe _break_, the best course of action is to take it out. Using a plumber if necessary.

Reply to
Chris Lewis