plumbing question -- replacing taps

I've got a kohler bathroom sink, and the taps developed a few issues over the years.

I removed the handles and unscrewed the taps underneath, and sure enough, the little bits that open and close to allow the water flow were broken.

So I bought 2 new ones, think I might as well replace them both. I applied a bit of plumber's grease to the rubber washers at the base, then popped them into the holes and tightened them down and turned the water back on -- nothing.

I tried tightening and looseing them completely to see if it was an alignment issue, but still, no water.

Am I missing something here? Some important step in the process?

thanks in advance....

Reply to
me

little bits that open and close to allow the water flow were broken.

bit of plumber's grease to the rubber washers at the base, then popped them into the holes and tightened them down and turned the water back on -- nothing.

issue, but still, no water.

Broken bits of rubber migrated into the spout to clog it??

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Definitely worth checking out. I guess I'll have to take the whole thing apart to find out. I seem to recall there being some stuff stuck to it.

I wish I could find a diagram of how everything is supposed to work, how the flow is supposed to go, but even if there was a manual that came with it, you can't expect to have it when you buy a house it's been in for years.

Laid off, learning some plumbing....

fnord

the little bits that open and close to allow the water flow were broken.

bit of plumber's grease to the rubber washers at the base, then popped them into the holes and tightened them down and turned the water back on -- nothing.

alignment issue, but still, no water.

Reply to
me

snipped-for-privacy@here.org, decides to chip in.

You might see if Kohler has a fact sheet on their website for this model.

Rich

Reply to
Rich