Plumbing Charge

I've seen them on TV. IIRC, Mr. Plumber is one that does it. Personally, I wouldn't trust them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Pat in Atlanta

I don't think so. The plumbing guild system means that it takes around 4 years to go from not being a plumber to being one.

Reply to
Goedjn

Call another one.

RicodJour

What world do you guys live in? Where I live no one except executives earns $50/hr (that $100,000 per year and the average here is less than $40,000), so any charge of over $100/hr is ridiculous. Even the major auto shops don't charge more than $100/hour. Probably will change tho since Boise is highly rated as a place to live.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I guess if you can afford a $600K home, then $90 an hour isn't much to worry about.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This area:

That is from a five year old census and things have changed some.

RicodJour

Local repair shop is $55. Local dealer is $65. This is small town in northeast CT.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Our plumber gets $80/hour...Philly 'burbs.

Liz

Reply to
Liz

OOOh so its justified then.... Hummm Dealership.... Pay for rent, utilities, service manager, managers above him, tools, training etc etc etc etc...

Union plumbers??? Hummm they get their benifits through the union. Insurance??? They bring their own shit and materials are delivered. No insurance there either.

Dont forget about the times that the materials arent on time and they sit around making that money while nothing is going on....

As for the independent guys.... They do pay for a work truck and tools... But shit, so do I. I right repair computers for a living and have to pay Errors and Omissions insurance (as well as my car) but I dont try to simply screw people.... Tools? Ha. Nothing like spending 500.00 on a mid level cat 5 cable tester. I replace my tools (laptop) every 2 years. That's another couple of grand.

I consider myself a honest guy. I dont guage people based on how much they make. Too many of these trade guys do. After all their not your buddy, try to make as much as possible off of them. Piss poor mentality....

Reply to
BocesLib

What is your rate? Most are about $90 to $100 an hour that I've run across.

BTW, I seldom work outside, but my company charges $1000 a day plus expenses when I do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You think he pockets all that dough? You don't think he has overhead to cover?

I guess your job has no benefits either...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Atlanta is very warm. There is a 300 dollar surcharge for that.

mm

Incredible, but I can understand it in that area. But areas like that are exceptional in the U.S. The bottom of the chart is more typical of most of the U.S. I didn't see a listing for a community where I have a 3rd or 4th cousin but it may be know by a different name that what the address says.

Thanks. Those average incomes and per capita incomes are foreign to my world.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You're complaining about a plumbing problem. Get a life.......asshole

Reply to
bravegars111

I had a reputable plumbing firm here tell me last Januaryit would cost me $950 to replace a 30 gal. hot water heater. Plus $60 for a permit, and there would be a charge for hauling the old one away. While he went to his truck to call into the office. I called my gas company. $535 for a 40 gal A.O Smith installed, no permit required, no charge for haul away.

When the guy was coming up the driveway he said no such thing as a 30 gal only 40 gal tanks. Now the price would cost me $1100 + permit and haul away.

Cost me $49 for this info from him. The company is now on my no call list.

Most plumbers here work under the company license. Not personally licensed. What ever happened to apprentice, journeymen and then master plumbers. My father was a plumber and had to go through all that and worked for a large plumbing corp. in NY.

Pat

Reply to
Pat