Plastic Water barrel

I have a 50 gal plastic barrel that I fill 2/3 with water, to use in case of a water outage. I would like to keep it from freezing this winter (it's in my garage, which isn't insulated). I bought a vat of insulation to wrap around the barrel but someone told me that wouldn't keep it from freezing. So I just bought some heat tape (I think it's called), but the salesperson told me it might melt the plastic because it get pretty hot. If I wrapped the insulation around the the barrel, then wrapped the heat tape around the insulation would that work to keep the water from freezing or would it create a fire hazard?

Reply to
T Farmer

consider a "stock tank heater" something like this if barrel is wide enough

Anonymous

Where do you live?

Do you have a basement?

Reply to
micky

It wouldn't do much to keep your water from freezing. A fish or livestock tank heater with a thermostat would probably be the best answer to your problem.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Take all the money spent on insulation, heat tape, electric heaters, electricity to power the heaters ... and look for a sale on big jugs of bottled water ! Store them in your heated home ... With all the money I just saved you - build a nice sturdy rack for storing the jugs. Yer welcome. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Insulation slows the movement of heat. With no added heat the water will eventually freeze, but it will take longer. Once frozen, the insulation will slow the melting once the air heats.

Use the insulation but with some sort of immersion heater right in the water.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the heat tape is below the water level in won't melt the plastic. Whether it will keep the water from freezing is another story. Around here you'd probably wind up with a large ice cube floating in a thin layer of water.

Reply to
rbowman

We raised a few ducks.

In the winter I put an aquarium heater in their water bowl and it did fine.

But that was Virginia. If you're in Alaska, probably not.

Reply to
TimR