plaster tape re-repair

Hey folks - question.

I am about to re-repair a crack in my plaster ceiling. It was repaired with tape and the plaster is not falling. The old tape is coming away from the crack. I think the previous person merely put up the tape and painted over it. They didn't recede/sand arounf the edges or use plaster over the tape.

My question - should I remove the old tape or just repair over it? I am concerned about pulling down stuff when I don't need to.

thanx!!!!!

Joshua Bayer

joshua bayer

Joe is on the money. Scrape off everything that's loose, then put on the fiberglass tape. I like the 6" better than the 2". The first layer on top of the tape should be something strong, not joint compound. I use "Quick Fix" by Custom. It sets up fast; use just enough to fill the mesh in the tape. The goal for this coat is just to attach the fiberglass tape as firmly as possible. Then use the joint compound, feather it out, and get it all nice and smooth. Prime it and paint it.

Reply to
Jedd Haas