Pex UV Exposure Concerns

Hello.

I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen and a friend suggested Wirsbo Aquapex. I am fluent in using copper but decided to use Pex since it is easier.

The PEX was installed about 4 weeks ago and has been exposed inside my kitchen, which has a large window and a skylight. Typically the window is partially covered, but the skylight lets in a lot of light. The PEX has been "exposed' to UV from the window and skylight for over

30 days, but seems to be holding up fine.

I have just become aware of the UV exposure issues with PEX.

I am ready to sheetrock the kitchen in a week or so but now have concerns about the UV exposure of the piping and do not want to have a failure later on down the line.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do I need to rip it all out?

Reply to
alex.krukis

It takes YEARS for UV to affect it. Relax, no harm done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't worry about it. I would cover it up, but it won't rupture or burst unless it sat exposed for a few months/years.

I cover all my PEX lines with those black foam insulation pipe things not for the insulation but to keep them out of the sun.

Reply to
Eigenvector

To further support my concerns, see below.

?t=8268 Thanks

Reply to
alex.krukis

Sounds like you already knew the answer to your question before you asked it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I would not be concerned.

I live in the desert and during new construction PEX is exposed for periods of time; waiting for inspections.

From my Vanguard material: DO NOT INSTALL WHERE EXPOSED TO DIRECT OR INDIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR MORE THAN 60 DAYS. PEX tubing shall be stored under cover, shielded from direct and indirect sunlight when the material is stored for any length of time. Short exposure times, not exceeding a total accumulated time of 60 days maximum, are permissible.

-- Oren

Oren

Take a couple of scraps of pex and sit them out in the sun. Check them every week. See just how long it will take to get any stiffening or cracking from UV. Four weeks is nothing, four years, maybe. This is not something that is damaged in a short time. Don't take my word, test some.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's a good idea. I have a scrap piece that has been laying outside in my "spare" pile for a while. Maybe I will hook it up and see if it holds.

Reply to
alex.krukis