PEX - Using hose clamps

This looks like another of those old posts from years ago, reposted by a remailer, or whatever that is called. But either way, I have always wondered why a hose clamp would not work on PEX. They work fine on Poly pipe which is generally used underground and PEX has a similar 'feel' to it. I've actually wanted to try using hose clamps just to see if it would work.

Hose clamps would be beneficial as far as making it easy to use in tight places as well as easy to remove clamps to modify the plumbing.... Of course they must be tightened properly!

However, I am sure this would not meet the code!!!

*If I was to do this, I would NOT use those cheapo HF clamps though. Id buy the best, all stainless steel ones I could find.
Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Claire, most people do not know that a screw hose clamp does not clamp uniformly, hence they use it inappropriately. I always replace OE stuff with like parts.

I had a buddy whose daughter crashed the LeBaron *again* Ran it into a curb. No body damage but half shaft bent. He comes to me and complains the body shop that did the previous repair used an aluminum bolt on the steering column and it broke. He was cursing the shop for shoddy work, etc. Until I explained that bolt was there to mitigate chest injuries and maybe think that the shop saved the girl from more serious possibly fatal injuries.

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Monday, October 22, 2007 at 4:52:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote :

Hose clamps work on thick walled rubber hoses. Hose clamps wouldn't work o n pex. If you have pex plumbing in your house and usually do diy plumbing then buy the tool. Otherwise there are some reusable connectors that work on pex and can be used on "occasional" repairs. They work fine, the only t rouble is they run around $10 a piece.

Reply to
jamesgang

I bought the continuous ring crimper to replace my water main. Cost me $50 per crimp. Still not a large part of the cost. One thing to watch out for is clearance. To get enough leverage, I had to dig the pit several feet wider so I could climb down in the hole and hurt myself trying to squeeze the handles in an awkward position. The other type of clamp may not require precise alignment of the tool and work better in tight spaces. Hydraulic crimpers solve the problem.

I wouldn't even think about using screw-type hose clamps. Just compare the cost of a leak in your wall while you're out of town to the cost of doing it right. Decision should be obvious.

You're gonna get the permits and have inspections, right? Inspector probably won't like hose clamps.

Reply to
mike

Now that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard! It's a damned piece of poly hose! Don't tell anyone what you think...text it for yourselves! Hose clamps don't provide even pressure, Pex is made for a clamp etc. are about as stupid a response and anyone can write! Just put a 10 cent hose clamp on a piece of pex & a elbow fitting and see for yourselves! Any engineer worth a damn will try it and then write about it instead of spouting some inane response about what they think! And in case you're wondering...everyone else all over the world uses hose clamps with pex and has been doing so longer than we've had Pex! Don't forget when pex was introduced here no self respecting plumber would even consider using pex and it was badmouthed from here to Boston!

Reply to
aplumbernamedlee

An normal hose clamp is barely adequate for a soft hose. A full circle clamp might be acceptable. Full circle hose clamps are available at good automotive supply houses labeled as fuel injection hose clamps.

Reply to
clare

What if you heated the pex before putting on a hose clamp?

Reply to
wrtennantll

For what purpose?

Reply to
Hawk

these posts are quite dated and I'm sure sooner or later one of you have likely tested some if not all of these theories....if not, rest easy tonight in the knowledge that I have!

  1. PEX + average run of the mill hose clamps = eventual disastrous consequences.
  2. PEX does not behave like normal rubber or plastic tubing when heat is used on it. Mine became very brittle and unworkable to any successful application.
  3. PEX fittings are pricey but worth every cent in any and all applications I've blindly jumped into thinking I "knew" I could fix without consulting a professional. (push to connect removable are a godsend for ppl like me)
  4. PEX crimp rings are very affordable and the tools are vital if you want peace of mind knowing that line running the length of your home thru thousands of dollars worth of potential "oops" repairs is firmly in place and ain't going anywhere.

I don't think my horror stories are necessary but if needed just shoot me a message lol

Reply to
joerather04