PEX tools

I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT it seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet and ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper or crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?

thanks

steve barker

Reply to
S. Barker

CrimpMaker No. HCM3 1/2"

CrimpMaker No. HCM2 3/8"

Find a combo crimper for both; a 1/2" - 3/4".

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

For a homeowner:

Cheap and it works - makes as solid a crimp as the $200 'pro' crimpers, and can fit into much tighter areas.

I don't know squat about the tools mentioned but a's comment about tight spaces is spot on. My buddy came to my double-wide cabin to help with my PEX and I noted that one handle of his crimper appeared to have broken off. "Nope", he says. 'I cut it off so that I could get into tighter quarters".

Reply to
C & E

I know what you mean. The 1" PEX crimpers we have at work have very long handles. What we did was cut off one side and drilled it out. Then studded the other side. Now, you can unthread one side and then put it back when you done using it in a confined area.

One day though I am going to buy the guys new crimpers as they make some smaller ones now.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Qest (aka Zurn) now has their stainless steel ring system out. It uses one tool for all fittings 1" and smaller. It uses the same fittings as the really cheap copper rings. Tool is under $100 at home depot and lowes and professional jobbers in my area. Rings are also available all those places. They are more expensive than the cheap copper rings, and a bit more than the generic "stainless steel rings" (oetiker pattern) but wide availability makes them ideal for the homeowner, IMHO. If like me, you end up needing another part after 8pm on saturday night, and being able to get it at the big box is very handy.

Rings are like this:

pick up bags of 10 or so at the home centers.)

In other words, buy the tool, a few rings in the sizes you need, probably under $100. Add appropriate fittings and pipe.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Thanks for the reply. After researching, i've decided to stick to cpvc. Hell, the pex tubing is no cheaper, and it seems to me quite the hassle to do all that crimping, and what not in tight places. Not to mention, you have to change to copper in the stress zones.

S. Barker