PEX fittings

Just started looking at PEX for plumbing my house. Simple question, what do you do at the valves for the sink and toilet? How do you make the connection from PEX to sink/toilet valve? Do you buy a right angle fitting and adapt to copper or plastic? Or do you use the right angle fitting to make the turn and stay with PEX? Can normal valves crimp on PEX? HELP! Thanks.........rwm

Reply to
mcelhane

I have a MANABLOC manifold, Everything is turned off there - even the outsite hose bibs.

I used this PDF link to help and is was great.

Oren

So, to turn off your supply to the toilet you go underneath your house (or wherever) and cut it off at the manifold? Even if you do have the valves at the manifold, how do you transition from PEX in the walls to your sink or toilet? Do these limp hoses hang out of the wall or what? thanks........rwm

Reply to
mcelhane

My manifold is in the laundry room inside the home. If I need to turn off a toilet, sink, dishwasher, etc. to work, the water is turned of there. Each run is independent.

Connections shown in the PDF will help you. The hose comes through the wall behind the toilet - supported on the 2xFO, the connection is crimped on and connected. The PEX will transition to copper.There is no valve that needs to be repaired/replaced. You can put a turn-off valve on but I like not having to buy them or work on them.

Search for the toilet fitting (Closet Fitting: XLCSA23)

One example:

BTW, please quote some of the thread by to readers.

Oren

Read the manual he pointed us to.

It is NOT installed UNDERNEATH a house. It is installed INSIDE a wall,

4 to 6 feet from the top of the manifold to the floor. Covered access much like an electrical distribution box.

Fittings are in the installation guide that show EXACTLY how to connect to Hot water, toilet, sinks, washing machine, tubs.

Once installed, PEX looks to the resident no different from copper, PVC, or SS pipe. All connections are designed so that standard plumbing fixtures will connect with ease to PEX.

Shutoff valves at individual fixtures then become optional, or plumbed as local code requires. Each outlet is to be clearly labeled with where it goes to make maintenance on a fixture easy at a later date.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

In the laundry room; where the bride spends time, she understands how to turn things off if she needed to. The manifold it right there, eye ball high.

Until the tile guy, having never seen a toilet without a valve scratches the head and finally has to ask you how to turn it off.

Labeled at the manifold, exactly. Each run separate. I red flagged one run I have so as not to turn it on....work in progress.

Oren

Oren

a toilet shutoff is very useful in a emergency, preferably a easy to use ball valve

Reply to
hallerb

If you have a PEX stub sticking out of the wall, there are SS inserts about

1" long that slide into the 1/2" PEX (to provide rigidity) and then you can put on a simple angle stop with compression ring and tighten it down with a wrench. Put an escutcheon on the PEX before you attach the compression fitting. From the angle stop, "up" you buy flexible supply lines at any HD or plumbers supply and twist them on..one end on the angle stop and the other on the bottom of the toilet or faucet as the case may be. They come in various lengths, from 6" to 36". Measure before you buy.
Rudy

Unfortunately my local code requires cut off valves at each fixture, so I really see no reason for a manifold. Instead I think I will Tee off from the main input lines (hot and cold) a 3/4" line to each bathroom and then tee from that line to each fixture (1/2 to Showers/tubs & 3/8 to toilet/lavatory). In other words, treat PEX as I would CPVC - except crimp instead of glue. I was not aware of the SS insert that allowed one to use compression fittings on the PEX - this sounds like a good way to go. Is there any problem with what I described? Thanks

Reply to
mcelhane

I'm confused. You want to use PEX without a manifold? My understanding is that the manifold is the heart of the system. Why not just stay with copper, then?

Oren