Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

As long as ONE computer has ps2 ports, the other one CAN use an adapter.

Reply to
clare

I doubt that they know what they're talking about.

You're unlikely to find a PS/2 card. Even the PCI card was probably a PCI to USB chip and a USB to PS/2 chip.

The PS/2 ports were in the 8042 keyboard controller on the motherboard (and the 8042 was usually inside the SuperI/O chip) and used IRQ1 and

  1. You can't do an exact legacy PS/2 port on PCI or USB, just as you can't do an exact legacy serial or parallel port. But the KVM shouldn't care about any of this.

Since USB to PS2 adapters are so cheap you might as well try one.

Reply to
sms

Some new M/B still have one or two PCI slots.

Bob_Villa

There is even a PS2 to converter converter.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You have a point, Lab Lover.

For the few bucks it'll costs me, I'd be stupid NOT to try.

Reply to
nestork

I do not think I have seen a direct answer, yet. Does either machine have native USB and if so, does it have both front and rear ports? The units with front ports usually have motherboard headers that one may repurpose and/or adapt. Make and "model" of your PC's would be of more help. However, if you do not have native USB then you are in the card hunt. I imagine that they are still available, someplace.

Reply to
Steve F.

Please come back and let us know how you make out!

Reply to
Lab Lover
[snip]

So I usually avoid "tech support". The last time I had to (mobile hotspot) I got people with strong Indian accents who ignored 90% of what I said, seemed to know very little about the product, and gave no helpful advice. Then I'd be cut off, or (a couple of times switched to Sprint). The Sprint person was easy to talk to but this is not a Sprint device.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Well, I had to hook 2 computers to the same monitor and keyboard/mouse at a clients yesterday - only had a ps2 KVM and only one computer had ps2 connections. I connected the ps2 mouse and keyboard to the KVM, and the kvm to the computer with PS2 ports, started it, then connected the kvm to the new computer with ps2/usb adapter plugs (the little purple and green adpters that used to come with kbds and mice), switched it to the second position, and started the second computer - no problem. Switches back and forth perfectly.

So it CAN work.

Reply to
clare

Yup, I purchased a number of high end PS2 KVMs on eBay a number of years back (for chump change) and in combination with a bunch of $1.99 dual adapters from Fry's, they work great!

Reply to
Lab Lover