Pellet boilers vs others

I have a 20 year old oil boiler for hot water and heat. It seems to be running OK, but it is still 20 years old.

To be blunt, Osama wanted oil to be $100+ a barrel to fund terroism and here we are at $100 per barrel. Don't want to fund terrorism and have these so called Americans like the head of Exxon/Mobil getting a 1/2 billion dollar for fulfilling Osama's every wish so I want to toss this terrorist funding POS in the trash and support American or at least our Canadian buddies.

I was thinking of getting a pellet boiler but wanted to see if this is a proven technology vs. Electric which is expensive. In my area it is at least electric is US generated with coal and nuke. Also want to be a good doobee and not kill a bunch of polar bears.

Opinions please--------->>>

Reply to
Jordan

I know a couple of people with pellet stoves and they like them. The most savings comes by buying the pellets in large quantities for summer/fall delivery. Saves oil, but the payback is fairly long from what I've seen. Be sure to do the numbers before you jump.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also, be aware that the quality of pellets, in terms of thermal putput, varys widely. I'm not sure how you will determine the most efficient brand other than word of mouth, but almost always the cheapest are the worst.

Reply to
C & E

Sounds like you are of the AlGorical mindset so I would suggest that you just wait a couple years because you won't NEED heat because global warming will chase the cold away. Save your money for supporting the trusses of your house. You will need it when those pieces of the sky start falling.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab