Paving Driveway: Minimum Outside Temp's. ?

Hello,

Live outside of Boston,

For a typical home complete driveway re-do, can the hot asphalt be put down in the Fall season O.K. ?

Or, should it be done only in the hot summer months.

Paving Contractor says they do it thru late Nov. !

Any minimum outside temp's involved for a "good" job" to be done ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Late Nov sounds OK to me. You certainly see plenty of road construction going on in those temps that also use the same FABC material. The plants that sell it would be in a lot of trouble if they were filling trucks up with material that could not be applied successfully when it left the plant.

Reply to
trader4

I've always bee told, the hotter the better, but I've seen jobs done in pretty cool weather. The asphalt plant usually close about Dec 1 in thie area. Some states even have a date where road construction must stop.

More important that the temperature is a reliable reputable contractor that won't either put too thin a coating or use material that is too cool. I've hear stories about one in particular that fills his trucks on a Saturday and cover them with a tarp so he can work on Sunday when the plants are closed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I would think it might go down fine-- but I'd be concerned about how cured' it might be when the first snow flies & you need to scrape it off with a truck.

Not as big a concern with a snowblower- but I'd ask him about it. What about salt in case you get a 1" ice storm for thanksgiving?

How good is his guarantee?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Wow: That depends on so many factors and you've given so little iniformation your only hope is to call the contractors and ask them in your area. Here you're going to get opinions about NY, Maine, Ca, Tx, Fl, and gosh knows where else. Also, keep in mind that "asphalt is not asphalt" in a way similar to grades of gasoliine are not the same octane ratings. The materials are mixed for the area/temps they're gonig to be used in.

Reply to
Twayne

Bob wrote the following:

Here's a thought. Call your local highway department and ask them the latest time of year they do any paving. Here in the NE, at least, asphalt companies shut down for the winter, so you can assume it will be sometime before that date. You're not going to get the kind of traffic in your driveway as the roads get.

Reply to
willshak