Paving

Just wondering, when I get my driveway paved I have to stay off it for a few days. When they pave the road I can drive on it as soon as the roller gets out of the way. Why?

Reply to
rss1

For starters the road crew uses heavier stuff and a much heavier roller.

Reply to
LouB

Hi Consumer duty product vs. Heavy commercial/industrial duty?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Also much thicker both for the base coat and the top layer.

You could drive on yours once it cools.

BUT there is a major difference between driving and all the short wheel turns that most of us do in a driveway. That is what tears up new asphalt.

Also parking can create divots.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

makes sence, thanks

Reply to
rss1

It is likely the mix design for driveways is considerably different then for highways. It may have smaller aggregate size and less inherent strength from the aggregate making it more important for the asphalt to "set" before being loaded. And as you said, the roller is not going to be nearly as large and heavy so it will not be as well compacted, which again makes it more important that the asphalt have some time to set up.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher