Patio Door Replacement

I have to replace the patio door of my rental townhouse.

The entrance is block inside and brick outside.

It seems that the overall opening is somewhat larger than the nominal 72x80 door size. (Maybe 77" wide and 82" high).

Anyway:

1) Who here has actually done this on a DIY basis?

2) What do you get with, say, a French door from HD/Lowes? How much "trim" to you either have to salvage or replace?

3) Just how heavy are these things? Did you haul it yourself or have it delivered?

Thanks

PS: "They" seem to charge from $450 to $800 for installation. The lower price comes from Lowe's and the highest price is from a specialty place.

Reply to
John Gilmer

A prehung french door will usually come with all the exterior trim attached. A sliding door may just have a nailer flange, or it may have brickmold. Think giant window, which is basically what it is. Interior trim may or may not be included, and you may or may not be able to reuse the existing casing. Expect to have to do some minor interior trim and paint work. Note that the existing slider may have a nailer flange trapped between the block structural wall and the brick veneer, unless it was surface-applied with trim over. French door will have brickmold, so needs to be an exact fit to the opening in your brick veneer. But not being able to see your place from here, no way to say for sure. Like most things in construction, there are dozens of ways to do everything, and several of them are usually considered 'right'.

These suckers are . 2-man job, minimum. An extra- wide door needs 3 or 4 people to tilt into place safely. Definitely buy it delivered- if it breaks en route, they pay to replace. If you haul, and it breaks, SOL. And in a similar ven, for some fancy brands, the warranty does not apply unless installed by an approved installer. (not completely a scam- a bad install job can quickly trash even a quality door.) If you have never installed one before, I'd pay to have the first one done, and watch and learn. Not real complicated, but experience helps. (Like how to flash it properly, square and shim properly, secure properly in the rough opening, etc.) And like I said, anything beyond a 36" service door is not a one-man job to put in place.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers