Patching My Leaking Roof - D-Day (with pictures)

This is a very nice day. The sun is up. This is the day... To go up there and patch my leaking roof.

I was planing to hose the roof clean before doing anything. However, when I was up there, the roof looked prefectly fine. I didn't hose it clean. But where the heck was it leaking from I asked myself. I had noticed that the tar around the vent pipes didn't look that good. Maybe there was where it was leaking from. After all, it had 2-3 inches of water up there last Monday! So, I chiselld all the old cracked tar around the pipes. Since I was up there, I was planning to fix the hole too. When I looked inside the hole, it had inches of tar restricting the water to go out. So, I chiselled all the old tar out to the metal inside the hole.

After that, I used Henry Wet Patch Cement to patch the pipes, and smoothed out the hole so that it wouldn't block the water from going out.

This was hot on the roof and labor intensed. I was no match to the mexican (probably illegal too) who the contractor hired. I was so tired. I needed to take a break. After an hour or so and glasses after glasses of apple juice, I put myself together and went up there to use the Black Jack Fibered Roof Coating to "paint" the area where the water was trapped to form a pool.

The Black Jack thingie turned out to be very thick like some sort of glue. I used all my might to "paint" the stuff to cover the pool area and the bottom of the side wall.

That was it. I was done... phyically! I was so tired!

I will wait a week and then go up there to put a layer of Henry Dry Patch Cement around the vent pipes over the Wet Patch Cement.

To see the "before" pictures:

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
boaz

Why was there 2 inches of water on the roof? A lot of older flat roofs never had enough slope on them when they were built. The fix I have seen was to strip the roof, lay insulation over the plywood and repitch the slope so that water will not stand on the roof. Sounds to me like there is a slope problem that need to be fixed. As long as the roof hold water you will eventually have leaks.

Reply to
SQLit

The roof is stiff enough. I conclude that the problem is that the drainage is not wide enough for the size of my roof.

Reply to
boaz

Either a troll or an idiot - oh, wait, they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.

RicodJour