patching hole in wallboard about the size of a quarter.

The kids had a towel bar over the sink and pulled it loose. tried to use those screws that expand abd they pulled a bigger hole. would I be better off cutting the hole out and fitting it with a new piece of wallboard and going through all that mess or is there a easier way. Thanks.

Reply to
dave hamblen

Get a new towel bar if the trim on the old one isn't big enough to cover the hole and mount it with a toggle bolt.

or

Get one of those stick on drywall patches, paint over it and mount the old towel rack to a stud. The towel hanging on the rack will disguise the patch next to it.

Reply to
RayV

I also recently used this yellow, mesh tape for the first time. It was great for holes that were about the size you said yours is. I think they recommend making a plus (+) with two pieces of the tape and then mud over it like you would over one of those sticky patches that RayV suggested.

Ryan

Reply to
herlihyboy

Put a short, flat (less than a 1/4) piece of anything with a string tied in the middle in the hole. Pull on it, and fill with plaster. Good as new, almost.

Reply to
glenn P

That is what I do. You can cut a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the hold. Put two small holes in it, just large enough to put a string through it so you can old the string and the cardboard in place while filling with plaster or mud. When it dries enough, cut the string off and finish filling hole.

Reply to
Dottie

"glenn P" wrote in news:44dbb5f7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rivernet.com.au:

Paint sticks man! Paint sticks!

I use them for a lot of patchwork among other things. Sturdy and easy to cut with a utility knife.

Heck, if you make it long enough and can weasel it in the hole, put in 1

1 1/4 drywall screw above and below the hole and drive it below flush. Yer gonna patch right there anyway.

Paint sticks: Freebie at Big Box. Produce bags to put wet paint brush in on breaks: Freebie at produce aisle.

Reply to
Al Bundy

All of the above to patch.

Then buy a longer towel bar and mount it on a stud.

Reply to
JimL

Another technique is 'mushroom patch' (sounds woodsy).

Cut a squarish piece of drywall about an inch larger than the hole, transfer hole shape to 'non-finish' side of it, cut off the paper, then remove the gypsum, leaving finish paper intact. Now you have a hole-shaped patch with a half inch or so paper 'lip'. Mud up the hole edges, insert patch, and mud over it.

Reply to
scorrpio

Hmmm, that sounds like an idea for a 6" hole in my bathroom ceiling (had to open it up to repair the exhaust duct). Put a (maybe a couple of) piece(s) of plywood behind and your "mushroom patch" rather than taping around the patch. Screw through the patch and ceiling into the plywood. I might just try it. Thanks.

Reply to
Keith Williams