Parts Storage Boxes?

I am looking for a specific style of parts storage box.

There should be 5-8 separate compartments, large enough to hold a pound of screws or nails each.

The compartments should seal up well so there is no spill over from one area to another as the box is tilted, especially for small parts.

It must be well made with strong hinges and latches.

It must have a handle on the TOP and be sized so that it could fit inside standard drawers, or sit nicely on a shelf or workbench.

It should be stackable if needed.

The closest I have seen so far is this one sold by Harbor Freight:

I haven't had the chance to see one in person yet, but from what I've read the hinges and latches are rather weak and prone to breakage. Having one break open and spill it's contents is not an option when I'm working away from home. I'm also not crazy about the removable dividers, though I could always glue those in place if that was the deciding factor.

I currently own several Stanley parts organizers like these:

Unfortunately, since the handle is on the edge, when you pick one up the container goes sideways and small parts tend to work their way under the lid to adjoining compartments. Especially with small finish nails, thin washers, or small electrical connectors.

I also have a couple Dewalt storage boxes like these:

They have much better hinges and latches, and small parts stay in their individual compartments. Unlike the Stanleys, I can fit a full pound of screws in a single compartment. Unfortunately they're very expensive and have the same side handle style like the Stanley's.

The wide and flat designs do not fit nicely in drawers. I store mine on edge so I can access one container without unstacking other containers.

I also can't store fragile items in that style as the contents are constantly agitated laying the container flat to open it, then leaning upright to carry it.

Does anyone know of a container like the Harbor Freight style that has stronger hinges and latches?

Reply to
HerHusband

Make your own. Some 1x4's and a piece of 1/2" plywood for the bottom. Add a handle as desired. Add dividers if you want, or get some containers that fit.

I did this. When I'm putting pole barn metal on a building I need several length screws, and usually at least 2 colors. Plus some deck screws and maybe some nails.

To save building dividers as well as being able to close the containers, I bought some square food storage containers at the Dollar Store. Each one holds about one pound of screws. They have lids to prevent spills and keep out dirt and moisture. Then I built the tray as I said above. It fits 12 of those containers. Then I added a handle.

Total cost was about $14 for the containers. Everything else was just scrap wood and fasteners that I already had.

Later I drilled some 1/4" holes in the edge board to put extra screw gun bits.

It works great!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Might try Lowes or Home Depot. Or Ace hardware. A good chance they will have better quality boxes. But, no guarantee in today's world.

My other thought would have been a tool tote with Tupperware continers with snap top lids.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We went to a office supply store and ordered plastic parts storage containers of various sizes, shapes for bolts, springs and all kinds of little parts.

Reply to
dangerous dan

I thought about doing something similar, though I would probably build it with thinner wood to cut down on weight. A container with a fixed handle probably wouldn't fit in a drawer nicely. So I would probably just keep the storage boxes in drawers, and grab the containers I need when I need to work on a project.

Still, it's not really the ideal arrangement I was hoping for.

I do a lot of work at my mother-in-laws house (about an hour from here). I never really know what I'm going to run into there, and there always seems to be an "extra" project I hadn't planned for. So, I usually take my assortment of screws, a collection of electrical supplies, and a few plumbing items. Just in case... :)

Having to grab all those items as individual containers and put them in carriers would be a bit tedious. And I would probably forget something in the process. Not to mention the carriers probably wouldn't stack very nicely in the trunk of our car for the trip.

I still want to check out the Harbor Freight containers, but am still leaning towards the Dewalt containers. Expensive, but rugged and well built and the contents don't spill over the compartments.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I've looked at everything Lowes and Home Depot carry. I'll have to check out Ace hardware.

I've also looked at office supply stores and various places that sell food storage containers. I use several of the Rubbermaid modular containers for my office supplies. They stack nicely and fit together well with no protruding flanges or anything to waste space. But, they wouldn't work very well for my building supplies.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

They're not inexpensive, but they'll last forever:

Scott Lurndal