paper covering sheetrock

I was sanding a piece of sheetrock, but the paper covering is rough and I c an't get a smooth finish. What do you recommend? I was thinking of painti ng the paper with shellac to get it harden so that I can sand it smooth. O r do I sand past the paper down to the plaster? Will it crumble or split i f I try that?

Reply to
Deodiaus

Skim it with a setting type joint compound, then sand that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

can't get a smooth finish. What do you recommend? I was thinking of painti ng the paper with shellac to get it harden so that I can sand it smooth. Or do I sand past the paper down to the plaster? Will it crumble or split if I try that?

Like Nate says, you have to skim coat it and then sand. You will never be able to sand the paper smooth so you have to completely coat it and then sa nd the coating.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you apply a skim coat and use regular non-setting drywall compound (lets you work slower, compound can be made soft again by spraying it with water), you may be able to get by with no sanding.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

that would require an artistic touch that I don't have :)

But yes, I have seen talented drywall guys use a non-setting compound and smooth it with a damp sponge.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel