Paint over linoleum

I have a very small bathroom and the linoleum floor looks horrible. Rather than replace same I was wondering if I could paint over it. If yes, what kind of paint to I use and anything else I need to know. Thank you , Monika

Reply to
purpledawn

I don't know about painting the floor, but the cost would most likely be the same.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

It's difficult to get paint to adhere to linoleum. It is also difficult to get paint to stand up to the wear it experiences on a floor. The cost/work to overcome those obstacles far outwieghts the effort to just lay a new piece of linoleum.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

If the existing lino is neither cracked nor peeling, you could even lay new right on top of the old... if anything this will give a slightly better insulated and softer floor than taking the old up and laying down new. Please do at least pull the toilet though...

N8N

Far easier and about the same material costs to just put down new vinyl. Paint over linoleum would not be at all durable, either.

For a small bathroom, you can often find a nice vinyl flooring remnant that is big enough for VERY cheap. They usually have these rolled up and displayed in a barrel in the flooring department of big box stores, with their dimensions written on a tag.

A one piece vinyl floor is VERY easy to keep clean.

Reply to
salty

A lot of it has raised features. If so it will telegraph through the new.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Sheet flooring for a SMALL BATHROOM is definitely a DIY project, that could be handled by anyone who was contemplating painting the same tiny area. The stuff is very easy to work with, and there are many sources in print and online on how to do it.

Reply to
salty

We actually painted a countertop in one of our rentals then put 3 coats of polyurathane on it. It is holding up amazingly well. I suspect you could use latex of your choice and put on several coats of floor finish over that. The worst that can happen is it starts to come off and you have to do something else.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thank you for all your answers. Guess I will hire someone to lay new linoleum.

Reply to
purpledawn

Option A: If your hand fits:

  • A wrench,
  • A utility knife, and
  • A spatulata You can do it yourself.

Option B: Know a bachelor with a tool kit? He'll probably be eager to trade a vinyl-floor lay for a rack of lamb dinner.

Reply to
HeyBub

True, I didn't think of that. My mental picture was of a typical sheet that you roll out that only has a slight texture. If it's not like that ignore my suggestion.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It's not very hard to do.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

purpledawn wrote the following:

Monika, is that a female name? You sound like what you want to do is a male type of fix. "Honey, I'll just paint the floor rather than replace the linoleum, It'll look great". :-)

Reply to
willshak

How does it look horrible ???

Is it just a color or pattern you do not like or what ???

Do you know how old the linoleum floor is ???

Do you know if the floor has been properly maintained, as in sealed and properly waxed ???

Linoleum and vinyl composition tile/sheet flooring requires quite a bit of work to keep them looking shiny and minty fresh...

You might vastly improve the look of your floor if you just strip off the old wax, clean thoroughly and reseal and wax...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

No one has asked if it is really linoleum or vinyl. A lot of people call any kind of sheet flooring linoleum, expecially those of us who were around before vinyl came into widespread use..

Reply to
hrhofmann

I still call the one piece roll out flooring linoleum, and I have been around since 1937. It really doesn't matter which type it is, painting it is a mistake.

Reply to
willshak

I'll just say that has not been my experience, and I tip my hat to those that have mastered it. My few attempts over the years produced rather sad results. I have the theories and procedures in my head- no problem. But my hands can't seem to put theory into practice. Other than maybe a tiny room, and some of that no-glue stuff where the baseboard holds the edges down, I'll never try it again. And for damn sure, I'll never try patching sheet goods again. THAT is artisan work, to make the patch vanish. As long as I have cashflow, and can find a moonlighting guy who works cheap for cash on evenings and weekends, I'll hire it out. That is what I did on my second bathroom, and he made it look EASY. In and out in a couple of hours (one evening to put down the underlayment and mud the seams, next evening to lay the vinyl), and $75, and it looked better than I could ever do. If I ever feel rich enough to replace my worn-out kitchen vinyl, I'll try to hunt the same guy down.

Reply to
aemeijers

I dunno, my mom 'n' dad did two bathrooms in their house and it looks at least as good as it would have had they hired a pro.

Not sure why they didn't do the third, honestly. Carpet in a bathroom is a cardinal sin IMHO. (and it's been in there for something like 20 years now...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Even the slight texture will come through in time. I've done quite a few vinyl over vinyl that came out absolutely fine. You just have to skimcoat it first with like Henry Skimcoat.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

You have to pull up the quarter round anyway. Skim coating it is about as much work as pulling it up unless the prior installer went crazy with the glue. And I like to use the old piece as a guide to cut the new one when doing bathrooms.

Reply to
jamesgangnc