Car care

I have some buildup in my truck on the steering wheel, door handles, door pulls, door panels, etc. This is from oil in the skin, as well as oil from dirty hands.

What is a good cleaner to take this off that won't dry out the fake or maybe real leather? And if it does dry it out, what would be a good product to restore it? I just want it clean again, and not have it dry and crack.

Saddlesoap? Simple Green?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Smooth Peanut butter. Really. It also restore the side trim to it's pure black old shine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

ArmorAll

Oren

Only if you wanna keep using it forever. IIRC, it pulls the loose compounds out of the top layer of plastic as it evaporates. Your FLAPS has other magic potions that supposedly do not do this. OP, ask over in the rec.autos.* groups- those people are always up on the latest and greatest car care products.

Reply to
aemeijers

I have heard several caveats NOT to use Armorall. Enough so that I think it is not the best choice. For a clean surface, maybe, but I am inquiring about how to clean some deep grime, and to take care of it long term.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've not had a problem in the desert, using ArmorAll, once every five years or so. Nothing harmed a '94 Ford Bronco, fancy edition.

Tell you what to do! Have Lanolin, rub it on with a micro-fiber cloth?

See if that helps clean --??

Reply to
Oren

I've heard Armor All is good for plastic and rubber, whcich is exposed to sunlight. Helps keep the plastic from drying out.

For cleaner, I like Simple Green. That and babywipes (spray the simple green on the surface, or the baby wipe). Baby wipes are stronger than paper towels or paper napkins.

If you like bright white wall tires, Westleys Bleche White used to be good. Spray it on, scrub brush the sidewall, and then rinse with water. Really brings out the white.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My old mentor used to use Armorall regularly. Might be why.... if it's that badly "addictive" to the plastic?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Armorall removes the plasticizers that keep plastics from becoming brittle.

Reply to
salty

Steve B wrote the following:

How about some leather/vinyl cleaner sold at auto stores?

Reply to
willshak