Paint over knotty pine

Knots are bleeding through paint. Previous to painting I sanded, 2 coats of good shellac on the knots, primed the wood then 2 coats of acrylic latex. Where did I go wrong? Is there a fix?

Thanks

Reply to
robson

Not enough primer.

Reply to
scott21230

Stain blocking primer.

Reply to
Norminn

In the UK we use 'Knotting primer' which seals the knots and stops the resin coming out. Surely you can get something similar in the US.

Reply to
anthonyhughgriffith

The shellac should have done that. My guess is that it was put on too thin, and not allowed to dry between coats.

Reply to
Goedjn

The orange shellac should have sealed the knots. Hopefully, you used an oil under coater then the latex finish.

The solution now is to use "original" kilz.......not the water based kilz. Then finish again

Don

Reply to
Don