Paint over bathroom vinyl tile?

White vinyl tile (1' square) is getting grungy. I can't afford/don't want to rip up & redo. Too lazy/busy to get a vinyl sheet cut to size around vanity, bowl, etc. and put it down myself (yoicks! I always

**** up measurements).

Is there a paint that will cover well and last a while?

Tx for your recommendations.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

Almost any paint fulfills the requirement that the job be crappy. I used an high gloss oil based enamel to fix a similar problem. It is not pretty or cheap but it dries hard as a rock and waterproof too. then caulk the edges with a silicon caulk. Clean up with mineral spirits. I pay about $23/gal U.S. for paint like that around here. Lesser paint will have less of a chance of adhering to what I would call a problem surface.

Reply to
Lawrence

Redoing shouln't be expensive. If you have a standard smallish bath of

50-square feet or so you could easilly do it for $50-$75, maybe less. If the vinyl is relatively new (in the last 20 years or so) it shoudl come right up with a heat gun and scraper...

Personally I can't stand vinyl tile, though. We just tore up a bathroom with that crap and replaced it with ceramic. Lowes had a closeout on some ceramic for a whopping 55 cents per tile. Total job cost us about $50, including mortar and grout...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer