OTR (over the range) microwave - vented inside or out?

Not a very good point. I lived without sex for about 13 years, but I have no intention of becoming celibate again.

I'd base my decision on how difficult it is to put the vent outside. Mine was fairly easy so I did it. If it was major reconstruction, I'd forgo it. There are time I'm really glad I have it but no, it is not used every day.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK. I was thinking under the counter, guess OTR means over the range. Not to be too flippant but damn, that's got to be a stupid idea, put your electronic stuff right above steam, smoke, and what all.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That is the way it is done in many houses when the cabinet goes to the ceiling. No much room left in the cabinet though. Climb up there and put a can where the pipe would go to see if it would be obvious. How much room between the cabinet top and the ceiling? With crown molding and the pipe near the wall, it would likely not be too noticeable. In any case you put some type of decorative wood around the pipe.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Howie" wrote

I think that having no range hood at all lets a lot of steam and oil go all over into the inside of the house, coating walls, ceilings, carpets, furniture, etc.

I HAVE used a microwave for years without exterior venting, but don't cook in it long enough to make smoke. (Except for the time I set the bag of popcorn on fire.)

I don't like a microwave above a range because that is where all the steam and smoke from the range goes, and it is a short time until the microwave is gunky, even with an exterior vent.

Just MHO, YMMV

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The venting is not for the microwave, it is for the range below it.

Right, but not everyone has the counter space to spare so this is a way to have the microwave and not lose 20" or counter space. Not my first choice either, but it is the only practical choice in my house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

replying to Smurfz, Wilson wrote: If over the range microwave is vented to the outside, no charcoal filter is necessary, correct?

Reply to
Wilson