OTR Microwave venting

just had a new GE Over the range microwave installed, my question is when I turn on the venting I can feel air being blown out the sides, I would assume that since this is an over the range microwave it should be blown out the back through a vent so I shouldnt feel anything except suction from over the stove. is this correct? did they incorrectly install it or am I mistaken

Reply to
kas1247

What isn't stated is if it's vented outside or inside. If it's inside the air has to blow somewhere. IMO inside is almost worthless.

Reply to
trader_4

Most vent out the top and through a duct in the cabinet to outside. Others just vent to the kitchen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, about all the do is get smoke to the smoke detector faster.

Reply to
Art Todesco

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 05:23:37a, Art Todesco told us...

We also have an OTR microwave, but the range is on an inside wall and there is a unit above ours, so cannot be vented upwards. It has a grease filter and a charcoal filter, and the vented air exits through the front.

We don't fry inside so there is no grease vapor or smoke. Only steam vapor that the charcoal filter seems to work for rising cooking smells.

Our climate it such that we can easily fry anything outside on induction burners.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

We had a Frigidaire over the range microwave FGMV174KF installed a few years back as part of a total kitchen redo. It's on an outside wall and ducted directly outside but it doesn't draw and vent worth a flip.

I went round and round with Frigidaire over it and had several different contractors and repair guys look at it. Conclusion was it's functioning normally.

I may just get rid of it and replace it with a powered vent hood and just put a microwave on the counter.

It sure as hell won't be a Frigidaire- or any other brand from parent company Electrolux!!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 07:15:10a, Wade Garrett told us...

I don't know of any OTR microwaves that have really powerful vent fans. When you buy the next one, or not, check the CFM of the fan. Powered vent hoods will invariably have stronger fans, so compare the CFM on those, too.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

But powered vent hoods also vent into the kitchen unless someone has put in a duct to the outside.

I live in a townhouse n'hood of 109 homes where the stove is not against an outside wall because that is a sliding glass door. Everyone has a hood that vents to the kitchen except the electrician who may have received part of his pay as a house. At any rate, he lived here 20 years and had ligths along his sidewalk and 4 or 5 fixed louvers above that sliding glass door, where the duct from the stove exited. IOW, he made sure his house was done better than ours. Probably other improvements too.

Later he moved a mile away to a non-townhouse.

Reply to
micky

On Sun 02 Jul 2017 07:31:30p, micky told us...

In an earlier house that we had built the kitchen was designed for the stove to be on an inside wall. Since we were working with the builder, we had the ductwork designed to exit up through the upper cabinet and into the soffit above, then through the soffit to the adjacent outside wall. Worked a treat.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright