OT - What to do with 15 gallons of shredded paper?

I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records

- my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record accumulation which h ad to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I could try to burn the shr edded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What other innovative ideas do fo lks here have?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Put it out for paper recycling.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Hi, You don't have recycle bin? In my city every household has 2 or 3 bins supplied by the city. Black for real garbage for land fill, blue for recyclables, green for organic matters to be recycled. My house has only black and blue. I just put them in blue bin. My FP is NG burning.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Take it to recycling center (they don't collect it at the curb?) or wet it down and use it for mulch. If used for mulch, cover with normal bark or shredded wood/leaves mulch.

Reply to
Norminn

When we purchased our present home, with large yard and garden plot, our son purchased a compost bin for me. All my vegetable scraps go in it, along with some leaves, grass and straw. With a good sized veggie garden, I've learned to re-use a lot of stuff. Grass clippings are superb mulch on garden and beds. Slats from junk mini-blinds make great markers for garden plants. Empty 2L bottles make good mini-greenhouses for new plants when cold weather threatens. My neighbor has three huge maple trees, and I conscripted most of his leaves to use for mulch on my flower beds; free fertilizer.

Reply to
Norminn

Spend a few years putting them back together. Great therapy.

Reply to
Thomas

I agree,the recycle bin gets the nod... and 15 gallons isn't very much.

Ever since I caught a competitor rummaging through my trash[1]... and saw a piece on TV where someone was taking bags of shreddings and piecing them back together; I hold off on putting them out till I happen to be around on pickup day, and hear the truck coming, then they go out. I also place shreddings loose in the can, so there's no tidy bag to make off with.

Am I goofy about all this... maybe a little. However I don't generate all that much sensitive material, but what little I do I don't want in the competition or ID thieves hands. In reality, I only have need to take out shreddings a few times a year...

Erik

[1] Have also heard accounts of 'trash pickers' occasionally being seen pulling documents out of area trash cans.
Reply to
Erik

Just curious, in what state must real estate records be shredded? After the required period I simply put them in the recycle bin as is. Heck, selling price, etc. are probably probably public records anyway. Yes, I was a broker.

Reply to
IGot2P

Most real estate records seem to be public record in NC. You can get on line and look the up. Some records require that you make a trip to where the records are kept to make it more diffuicult for just anyone to look at them. I think the people that really have a daily need to can still get a special password to look at them on line.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Many years ago I took a class in ceramics, and shredded paper was used to pack the fired ceramics for transport. I was unpacking my stuff at home one day when the print on the shredded paper came into focus....the computer paper had been shredded across the sheets so that the printing was readable for a whole line. What actually got my attention was a name that was very familiar, and the printout was a list of the local phone co.'s employees, with salaries :o)

I separate the stuff I shred. When I shred something especially sensitive, I fill the kitchen sink with hot water, soak the paper for a while, then run it through the disposal. With old CD's that had personal stuff on them, I wrapped in heavy duty foil, baked in oven for about 10 min., took them out, scrunched up the wad while it was still in the melt stage, and then disposed.

When I worked in HR years ago, I told a funny story about reading the film ribbons on a typewriter. About two mos. later, my boss had word processors for all employees.

Reply to
Norminn

The reason that I shredded the records was that there was a lot of financia l information, and huge quantities of names and phone numbers and financial info associated with those names and my wife didn't think she wanted any o f tha info made public, even after the fact.

I loved the idea of reading the typewrite ribbons to see what had been type d. I remember those typewriters, and I wish i had thought of it way back w hen. It could have made for some interesting blackmail.

We have paper recycling, but I just was wondering if anyone here had some c reative ideas. I am not into papier machie, but I was hoping I would get s ome burst of brilliance from one of our posters.

Reply to
hrhofmann

compost it or use it for mulch

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What other innovative ideas do folks here have?

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

Label as "Super Bowl Victory Confetti", and send one half to Seattle, and the other half to Denver.

Reply to
Steve F.

Soak them in detergent and make fire starter logs.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

wondering if anyone here had some creative ideas. I am not into papier machie, but I was hoping I would get some burst of brilliance from one of our posters.

Mold it into the shape of a guide dog, so you can get it on the air plane. Fly to Toronto, and take a tour of the CN tower. From the upper deck, shred the dog and sprinkle the records onto Toronto,eh?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Give it to the less fortunate. They're so hungry now, they'll eat anything.

Reply to
Tom J

The problem with using some printed paper for mulch is that the ink could be toxic. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Let the garbage man take it?

Reply to
G. Morgan

If he uses them for mulch, the bugs and worms will be able to read them. They have lots of spare time.

Reply to
micky