OT: Walmart LED Sale!

60 W equivalent, non-dimmable, $2.44 (bought 4 and no problems...instant-on)
Reply to
bob_villa

"GreatValue" branded.

Reply to
bob_villa

Cheapest I've seen them. I bought a couple of spares when they were $4 at Lowes. My oldest LEDs are about going on 1 years now and I'm very happy with them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I just paid $12 (on sale) for a 100W equivalent. That's not exactly cheap, but 60W is not bright enough, and the fixture I am putting the bulb is left ON at least 12 hours per day, so I know it will save on the electric bill. I'm hoping that in the near future the 100W equivalent bulbs will get more affordable.

One noticable thing about the 100W equivalent bulbs is their weight. They are quite heavy, and considerably larger than standard bulbs. I'm assuming they have a much larger heat sink inside to account for their weight. As far as their size, it barely fit in the fixture!

Reply to
RealPerson

I bought several Phillips 800 lumen bulbs from Home Depot at 2 for $4.95. Been very happy with them. Also bought a couple of the Great Value 800 lumen bulbs at Walmart and they are fine.

Reply to
Mr.E

One problem with LED's is getting the light where you need it to go. If the light goes mostly out the end and you need it out the side, a different style lamp makes all the difference at lower wattage. The Philips disc shaped bulbs may work better in those instances.

Depending on your requirements that it look "pretty", one solution is to use a dual lamp adapter and plug two 60Watters into one socket. The $2.50 adapter plus two $1 dollar store 60W LEDs is still cheaper than one 100W LED. And you get 20% more light and better dispersion. This won't work if it has to fit inside some fixture.

Reply to
mike

This is what I did in the basement with two early, dim CFLs.

You know a place to get dollar store 60W LEDs for a dollar? I thought 2.44 was the cheapest.

Reply to
Micky

I went overboard on those Phillips and bought 40 bulbs. Gave 20 to my son. By the time I use them all they'll cost a nickel.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Our local Menards has 60 W for $1.97, part of the cost is borne by the local utility, Com Ed.

Reply to
hrhofmann

That should have been 2 (two) years

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did you mean Con Ed?

Is their motto still "Dig We Must"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Did you mean Con Ed? Is their motto still "Dig We Must"? "

Con Ed is Consolidated Edison and is NYC, Com Ed is Commonwealth Edison and is Northern Illinois/Chicago area.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I have a cree LED bub on my desk. it died last week at my front door outside light.

is it worth making a warranty claim?

Reply to
bob haller

Ahh...got it.

I grew up in NYC so I thought that perhaps Com Ed was a typo.

Dig We Must was Con Ed's motto as they screwed up traffic with the big holes they used to put in the streets.

My brother worked in one of the Con Ed control centers for many years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a bright idea! We need an ObamaBulb program. Free bulbs for everyone. Send the bill to the taxpayers.

And Obama said, "Let there be light."

Reply to
Democrat

Cree claims a "10 year, free replacement warranty" for their LED bulbs. I understand it is a Home Depot brand. I think it would be worth finding out how well they honor their warranty.

On the other hand, I'm waiting for an LED bulb to go bad so I can tear it up and see what's inside!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

i have my failed cree sitting on my desk and yes i want to tear it apart:)

I was in 3rd grade and the teacher made a gross mistake, left me alone for 5 minutes, during this i broke the ditto machine.

i remember the teacher telling the class later sorry there will be no test today the ditto machine is broke

later i returned to my old school and serviced that very machine, it had some tech notes on the inside, cleared jam. i told the principal one of those jams i caused.

over the years as a child i tore apart all sorts of things, and fixed many of them.....

tv sets, a toilet, if it could be disassembled i made sure it came apart

my desire was to fix things. i have spent my entire adult life fixing office machines.

copiers, ditto machines really spirit duplicators, overhead projectors, a smattering of school teaching machines, and most recently roll laminating machines.....

Reply to
bob haller

I was an 8 year-old at the end of WW2, we lived near NYC. My dad would tak e me in to Radio Row on Canal St in NYC where you could buy almost anything war surplus including all sorts of electrical stuff. He encouraged me to take things apart and then rebuild them in different arrangements and see h ow things worked.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Jack of all, master of none?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I recall going to Canal Street as a child in the 1960's before it was replaced by the World Trade Center. It was an amazing place.

Still one shop left:

Reply to
sms