OT tonight and early Monday morning, exc. view of ISStation

Excellent opportunity to see the International Space Station tonight and once early Monday morning.

At least in the east and maybe the whole US or whole eastern hemisphere visible for 5 or 6 solid minutes, at high elevation also.

Reply to
Micky

I've already been. Went there on opening day.

Reply to
trader_4

I prefer the awesome sight/sound of a 747

Reply to
Roy Biggins

I watched NASA's 747 deliver the space shuttle to NYC, fly over, down the Hudson. That was cool. We're near the end of that era, Boeing is building less than one a month now, they slowed down the build rate, hoping for some new freighter orders. Looks like the two new AirForce One's may be the last ones they ever build. Which would be a fitting way to end it.

My favorite plane now is the 777. Not quite as big, but still impressive. I flew 16+ hours on one a few years ago, JFK to Hong Kong. Left JFK late morning, by about 3PM it was dark outside, we were nearing the north pole. That was the best plane ride of my life. First class, I had 3 plane windows worth of space, 3 flight attendants for 3 passengers and I drank every booze they had.

Reply to
trader_4

The 747 returning the Shuttle to the east coast from the second (? or

3rd?) launch made a detour over the Thiokol plant in Utah that built the booster motors . We were standing on top of the hill above the (can't name it , security) facility when it went over ... the pilot waved at us , and we were nearly knocked over by the jetwash from the plane . To say he was flyin' low is an understatement ..
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Cool!

I just watched the ISS pass overhead. It didn't make much noise. Had a great view, it was bright and went from SW horizon to NE horizon, passing almost directly overhead, 6 min trip. Thanks to Micky for the heads up.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm afraid the 9:54 PM tonight pass might not be visible here , too low and too many trees in the way . The 4:38 AM pass tomorrow is going to be almost directly overhead ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That is cool.

I noticed that. For a while I wasn't sure if it was the ISS or an airplane. There were 3 others flying nearby while I was waiting.

But I'm convinced I saw it, which it makes it the first non-natural thing I've ever seen in the sky, after many prior tries.

YW. And thanks to a friend who told me and then reminded me.

might not be? You're replying to Trader who already saw it at 9:50 ET. You're in Central time iiuc, but it does't take 66 minutes to get there. So I think you already missed it!**

As to trees, yeah, my front yard has too much light from street lights, my back yard has too many trees, so I walked to a field nearby, and then I noticed the road had a curve which caused the headlights to shine in my eyes for a little bit. But there weren't many cars and the thing was bright.

That sounds good, but that's 3 minutes before here and you're west of Baltimore, so how could that be? Oops, I'm backwards, of course it's earlier. Depending on how far west you are in the Central timezone, it would 2 to 6 minutes later, your time. Except there is still the time zone thing. Your header shows Central time, but the clock time,

9:54 and 4:38 are Eastern times. ????

**For a long time all the space ships and afaik all the satellites took 90 minutes to go around the earth once. The chart here seems to say 98 minutes.

. I wondered why there is nothing listed for about 12:30AM and I think it's because the sun is opposite the earth from wherever it is 1AM daylight time, and the ISS is in the earth's shadow.

Reply to
Micky

Right on schedule at 9:54 PM CDT . It was actually higher than I thought , and I had a very good view for about 2.5 - 3 minutes . And in reference to your (snipped) comment about trees and lights , I live in a clearing out in the woods with no scattered light from a city . The stars are freakin' awesome out here on a clear night .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It was higher than I thought it woudl be too. The chart said 72^ and I thought it was 80 or 82.

Once you've seen it for 2 minutes, you've seen it all.

The last time I stopped to look at the stars I got arrested.

Reply to
Micky

I just drove over to the lake to see if i could catch a glimpse. It's too cloudy tonight.

Oh well, had to walk the dog anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a street light right in front of my house. And because of trees in all directions, standing about 25 ft from that light was where I had to be. I still could easily see it, it's very bright, so if you're in a spot where you can see some stars or planets, you'll be able to see it. Assuming it's a similar track. If it's low at the horizon for example, IDK how that will affect it. But I have seen it once before, lower in the sky and didn't have any difficulty finding it. These man made things are so much better. Not like looking for some piss ant comet or waiting for a meteor shower that's supposed to happen between

11PM and 6AM. This sucker shows up right on time.
Reply to
trader_4

It will be back when the sky is clear. Check the chart.

Actually it was pretty cloudy here too -- Of course it was dark so it was hard to tell -- but I think it shone right through the clouds.

Reply to
Micky